Acrylic Ink Abstract WIP

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 2 of 2
I've tried it the other way round: water into puddles of ink and use a point to drag the colour around as I did above to get the veining. I do use a pipette quite a bit and might try dropping ink into water as you suggest. Thanks for the idea Kay. Actually thinking about it I do place water on the paper when painting watercolours and then drop pigment into it - quite a fun way to work.
The second painting is quite interesting to look at, Michael. A good job, I'd say. And always nice to read some text that explains how a painting evolved.
I've waited a few days before posting my work in progress, as I didn't was to forum crash, Michael's work. It seems safe to post now. While out walking I passed a posy of daffodils, I have passed quit a few times, yes they looked lovely bathed in sunlight, but one morning, the sun was filtering through them maybe at a different angle, and it was these two that caught my eye, I haven't altered the photo in any way. Photo first -
Its the lighting I feel lifts the subject, and catches the eye. The finished work wont be a faithful reproduction of the photo, as its the lighting I really want to present and hopefully a pleasing portrait of these, as you can see past their best blooms, but non the less lovely to look at with their lovely highlights. Their leaves have a blue/green tinge to them so its nice to be able to use the viridian in the mix. My w.i.p.

Edited
by carol

Beautiful work Carol. As Marjorie said capturing light is no easy thing and you absolutely nailed it.
Thankyou, Marjorie and PatriciaMcB, for your comments. I've consulted one of my botanical illustration books - Siriol Sherlock - for shading the blooms, she suggests making a grey by using a blue and an orange I've been very careful with this, and will build the washes, but first I feel I need to put a darker background in to get the feel of the lighting, or I could end up over working the daffodils. I will post the end result in the gallery for constructive comments.
So will I with interest.
Thank you.
Well, I've dabbed in the background and added a splattering of salt to add a slight texture, not that its obvious but never mind, and lightly greyed the appropriate places on the blooms...but I'm not happy with it it looks to scruffy to me. Will try the same picture again using black paper and Derwent coloursoft pencils, and hope for a neater outcome - if at first you don't succeed...

Edited
by carol

Thank you, Marjorie. I suppose we all see things different, are we ever satisfied with our work :Whistling: Yes, I will post the next one. I think every subject has its correct medium, I'll think a bit more about the end result on the next w.i.p
Yesterday morning was a frosty one, the horizon to the east was ablaze with colour just before the sun rose. I cropped the picture as I just wanted to portray the intense glow of the sky and behind the trees. My w.i.p for this weekend.
One of the joys of farming, Marjorie 🙂
Showing page 2 of 2