Wow! All change since I was last here - and a question about paper

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 2 of 2
I’ve got a few sets of watercolours, winnings mainly and they vary from W&N to White Nights. Both are excellent, the White Nights I would definitely recommend. Yes, as Fiona has said, Old Holland are a fabulous make. I’ve only used their oil paints but all their stuff is top quality. The student type ranges are adequate, W&N Cotman for instance, but better to go for artists quality every time if you can. Most sets seem to be the half pans which I find too small, better to opt for a set of full pans, and a more limited palette/selection.
I started with Winsor and Newton and Daler Rowney but now use mainly Daniel Smith.  The Daniel Smith range can be a little pricey, but have some exciting colours which produce beautiful washes.  You can see a short demo of each of their colours on the Ken Bromley website, well worth a look.  I find tubes are more useful than the pans, especially if you like fairly strong washes or mixes.

Edited
by Jenny Harris

Thanks everyone, i've just ordered some cut down 640gsm sheets of Arches and a set of Sennelier professional quality paints - thanks to birthday money!

Edited
by Lucy Gilmore

Well you've bought your paints now, so this is a bit late: but you'll buy more one day, so .... I like Rembrandt watercolours, all but the madders have high lightfastness ratings, there's a good selection, and the paints are vibrant.  I also liked Daler Rowney's professional grade watercolour, and slightly less, Winsor & Newton's.  The oil paints are another matter.   I've got some birthday money too!  Poised to purchase!
ah ok! well fingers crossed the ones i've got coming are good too. The ones I use at the moment are Windsor and Newton Cotman so i'll be interested to see if i notice a difference. And happy birthday from when it was - and happy b-day money spending on whatever you decide to splurge on! 
Good choice with the paper Lucy, I have used Sennelier brand in the past and they’re absolutely fine. Don’t forget to post some of your work on the gallery!
Showing page 2 of 2