Watercolour pencils versus watercolour pigments and application.

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
I switched from Acrylic to draw with watercolour pencils and wondering if there is a vast difference in watercolour pencil pigment and brush painting from tubes of watercolour?  I find it to be a finer substance in all respects! Am just dabbling and may try to paint from tubes pf watercolour pigments next. I started by drawing in watercolour pencil (Faber Castell) and love the experience of colouring and dabbing with water and brush. Here is a recent drawing of a red robin. I applied watercolour pencil. I suppose painting with tubes of watercolour pigment requires longer stages and of course practice! 
Like your chirpy robin Angela.    I find that every medium is different and has its own qualities .  I like the control of, in my case Inktense pencils , though I rarely use them ,to using watercolour from either pans or tubes with a brush .   In my case it depends what I am creating. 
I've never been able to get to grips with watercolour pencils, I use the Winsor and Newton watercolours in the tubes. You've done a lovely job of the Robin.
I do occasionally use colour pencils but find them difficult to use . I use watercolour from tubes all the time  and half  pans occasionally if outside or doing a very small painting. While both are watercolour they are different to use obviously you need more water to wet the pans and getting a thick colour can take time whereas with  tubes it too easy to get a rich mix and only very small amounts go a long way . If your not used to tube I would suggest putting a small amount of colour on paper and stretching it across the paper by adding water until it’s almost clear . Doing  this will let you see how strong the pigment is in your paint and how much you can dilute it down you then get the feel of the washes and how you can vary them . Whatever the most important thing is to enjoy yourself. 
Inktense watercolour pencils have very strong pigments that become permanent after water has been applied.  I find these pencils useful when trying to get detail into a watercolour painting.  The permanent feature is also useful, when applying a wash afterwards, but don’t claim to be any good at watercolour .  So I find them useful to cheat.  The less permanent ones are useful for the initial drawing as they dissolve into the painting instead of having to rub out he lines, with the potential of damaging the paper.
I’ve never tried inktence pencils , sounds like a good idea for details etc. There is  no such thing as cheating in art Linda , just call it adaptation or something like that, most artist throughout history have adapted or manipulated  (cheated) so why can’t we. 
For those wanting to know more about watercolour pencils, there's a good demonstration by Charles Evans on Youtube.   Not Inktense pencils, mind, (of which I have no experience). They take a bit of getting used to, but I've used them in watercolours, and on their own, and once you learn how to regulate the intensity of washes they're ... well, fun!  Something else to play with....