Trying out the Gouache Resist Technique

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
I was inspired by Carole Robson's article 'Irresistible Resists' in this month's The Artist magazine. I haven't come across this resist method before, was intrigued, and wanted to give it a go.  I have some gouache - white, brown pink and warm grey- and have Indian ink already, so I could get started right away. I wanted an image to work from and I used a Degas portrait, which was on my desk as I had saved it from last year's calendar. Not wanting to do an exact copy but just to have an image to work from. I painted the gouache onto a rough pencil sketch of the portrait, and left it to dry. Then poured black ink (waterproof) over it and left it to dry. I don't think I left the gouache to dry long enough because it leached into the ink, with rather a strange feline face emerging - I then left this to dry overnight. In the morning I washed the gouache off under the tap with some gentle scrubbing with a thick brush. It now looked like this - I let it dry and then painted in more detail using the black ink, and some gouache very thinly applied. Finished attempt - I really like the grainy effect, a bit like a woodblock print, and now I am very keen to try this technique out on a landscape - which will be my next artwork. I wonder if anyone else has tried this out? and what are your thoughts on this method of resist? ( I think with the female portrait you have to be careful the rough print effect doesn't look like stubble on her chin!) 
I also saw that article, Hilary, and thought I’d have a go.  I like the finish you get with ink resists.  I did try it a while ago with gum arabic instead of gouache (wasn’t keen to waste my gouache!) using various strengths of Indian Ink which worked quite well - haven’t yet tried it with acrylic ink which I think she also used. I like your portrait, it has worked well.

Edited
by Jenny Harris

Impressive Hilary, I’ll give that a go.
Looks great Hilary.
I also saw the article, and am thinking about giving it a go. Need to get some inks.
I saw the article and fancy having a go too!!
Interesting, though I haven't really got the space for this - I get grubby enough already without playing with ink in combination with gouache.  I won't be trying it - I don't really specialize, but I don't try every technique going either: but I would be interested to see the work those of you who are keen to try it produce - there's no end of medium combinations you can try; acrylic/watercolour with ink, carbon ink and conté crayon, powdered charcoal....  breaks off and a thought strikes out of the blue (or black).... Who has tried liquid charcoal?  It does seem a very expensive medium; I haven't used it, though have often used water and Indian ink with charcoal, and carbon pencil - could you not just buy the hard charcoal, and prepare your own?