Storm skies

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Can anyone recommend a basic palette for stormy skies - giving pewters, purples, russets etc?  This is possibly a 'length of a piece of string' question but I am very new to painting and to watercolours and would dearly love some help to get started. Thanks!
I like to use Payne’s Grey as it has a blue tinge to it as is not opaque, as it would be if you tried to make a grey. It can be used very dark or almost invisible. You are correct in saying it a piece of string question. I’m sure others will make good suggestions so I will leave it with the one.
Hello,Pat  Paul is quite right it’s how long is a piece of string, plus we all have likes and dislikes ...e g I don’t like Payne’s Grey I find it a dead colour.   I’d play around with deep violet ,some brown and indigo.  Try different mixes and chop up some swatches of failed paintings( I always have plenty of those) . Play and practice add water , let dry a bit , dribble water...enjoy. Incidentally I’m not an amazing watercolourist but I like experimenting.  Can’t wait to see your stormy skies.  
When I put the finishing touches to a dark stormy sky I use W+N intense blue and Indian red, and add any suggestion of supporting colours when the painting is thoroughly dry.
It all depends on the effect you want to achieve: stormy, calm etc, but I do like a big bold clouds using mixes of raw siena, ultramarine and light red allowing the clolours to bleed and seperate on the page.. After a quick trawl I post an example below - not the best I could find but it does demonstrate the effect I try to achieve.
Ultramarine; light red; burnt sienna; raw sienna - and now and then, for a change, Prussian or Pthalo Blue, both to be used with extreme care.  But colours vary by manufacturer - eg, Rembrandt Cobalt and Cerulean Blue are strong colours: whereas in Winsor and Newton or Daler Rowney, they really aren't.  And Paynes' Grey and Lamp Black worked well in the hands of masters like Rowland Hilder: in my hands .... they very rarely do.   Vary these with Venetian Red, and a touch of yellow ochre = even viridian, mixed with raw sienna. Throw a bit of Permanent Rose/Quinacridone violet in there; go very easy on Alizarin Crimson, not least because it fades (and so does 'Permanent' Alizarin Crimson).  Aim for purplish or greenish touches in your skies (but not both).  Practise on odd bits of paper before committing yourself to a full watercolour painting.
Many, many thanks all for really helpful comments.  I don't have Paynes' Gray at the moment but may investigate.  I realised that I had actually bookmarked a site - Jane Blundell I think - with gray mix suggestions, and - thanks for your warning Robert - had been getting rather attached to Alizarin Crimson.  Fading not an issue for me at the moment but I'll experiment with your other suggestions.  I look at your examples and think - will I get there?  But messing about and practicing is the way in. Thanks again!
By the way - gorgeous painting up above from Michael Edwards: those clouds have real volume, and good recession - quite apart from being beautifully painted.

This post has been removed as it violates our forum rules and guidelines.

Nadezhda - your post has been reported as it contains embedded text/link to another site.  In this case, the site is your own and links to the work you have mentioned in your post.   It would be better if you could just show us the work rather than linking to another website, as this always causes concern in view of posts from others which contained all sorts of irrelevant links.