Small sketchbooks

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 2 of 2
Yes it was some ungodly hour Martin ...my usual wake up time, thanks for the transcript you have linked thi# to, and yes Collette it stinks. I used to think Aldous  Hucklet  s   Brave New world was horrifying  but rather that than this , like Peter it makes my head hurt . 

Edited
by Sylvia Evans

Well, if it was AI - it still made a valid point about A5 sketchbooks, which is where this thread started; although - also a rather obvious one, as Sylvia suggested. I always used to carry an A5 sketchbook with me - those red and yellow Daler Rowney ones - and I should do so again, because if I don't I scribble all over letters or papers I shouldn't be scrawling on; less so now that I've withdrawn from most of the work I did for t'Party (you know which one..) and the NHS; it could get a little embarrassing if people noticed, in meetings.   So the thread was useful, in that it reminded me to revert to my past practice; seeing Alan's "sketches" in his books, by the way, will have left a wry smile on the faces of some of us; if those are hurried impressions, nothing very special, just notes, etc - would that some of our finished works could look as good.  I find I can only get really rough work if I use a fountain pen - just basic lines, a bit of hatching; can tell you a lot.  If I used carbon pencil, coloured pencil etc, I'd fiddle at the sketch and try to "finish" it; defeating the whole purpose of sketching. But then, I can be an idiot... 
I’m beginning to spot AI by the almost ‘robotic’ and ‘factual’ style of writing… this post was a good example! 
Yes - there have been a  number of otherwise inexplicable posts: a thank-you for a tutorial to a post that's old enough to have grown up and started school; a didactic instruction that has been culled, rather clearly, from somewhere else - might have relevance to a thread, but hasn't much.  These are piggy-back posts - I think we're getting better at spotting them and deleting them; there is always a danger that we nip out the occasional viable bud, but in such cases people can complain, which would be the natural and human thing to do if one's words of wisdom were excised on mere suspicion.  You'll notice however that they don't complain - because there's nothing natural or human about them. 
I fear that, in our responses to AI because we fear it so much, our thought process will become as binary as said, whilst, AI, will become more humanistic, due to the responses we give it, we enable it to function and expand. That's my personal thought on the matter.
On the topic of AI; here's Stephen Fry reading Nick Cave's letter about art and Chat GPT. It's 5 minutes not badly spent.
Showing page 2 of 2