Reeves Watercolours

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
I've inherited, from a deceased artist, a set of Reeves w/c paints - 18 tubes.  My memory of Reeves colours - watercolours and oils - is that they WERE pretty good, once upon a time.   But that time was long ago, and I note that these colours were made in China, do not carry a lightfastness rating, and rejoice in such names as "Brilliant Red", "Violet", and "Crimson": all a touch non-specific. I don't want to go looking a gift-horse in the mouth; and I know Chinese watercolours have a long and reliable pedigree; but then again - I don't think these are traditional Chinese watercolours.   So, I've given away what I think of them, without even trying them!  But is there anyone out there to put in a good word for them?  Reeves have been going since the 18th century, but you don't tend to hear of their products being recommended these days..... anyone out there with an opinion of them, good or bad?
Reeves like Winsor  and Newton were the best of British and I know I used them in the dim and distant., but as you say  Robert they don’t seem to have been around in recent years.  So no I can’t help on the quality front. Try Googling to see  if the name has just been  purloined… otherwise just use them for sketching in books ,not posh stuff…as you say gift horses and all that. ,you just may be pleasantly surprised .
Robert I have used Reeves watercolour, we were given a lot of them by a stationary company when I was working in day centres . I honestly would not use them for a decent painting and the few I had at hone I let my grandchildren use them up.  I have never really though of why I don’t use them , but recall thinking they were to bright fir my liking and seemed very thin when diluted down . I realise that sounds silly but what I mean is there was not a lot of pigment unless it was used thicker if I make sense. I tended to use them as poster paint and they were fine for this . So that you are not causing any offence , I would suggest you take Sylvia’s advice and use then for rough work . I have some very cheap paints very similar bought from the works they are fine for every day sketches to agg a bit of colour but I again would nit advocate using them for what you could call a serious painting. I would and have suggested to people starting out thst it’s ok go use this type of paint until you can afford better or want better.  Hope this help a bit even if it doesn’t fully answer your question. 
I have no knowledge of Reeves watercolours in tubes.  Way back for many years I was happy to use their pan watercolours, they came in a small red tin and were as cheap as chips.  They suited me perfectly, although a true watercolourist may not have felt the same.  I still have many paintings done with them, I've never really concerned myself with things like lightfastness etc.  No doubt I should.  But these old paintings still look bright and vibrant to me...the last time I used them was in 2011...no time at all in the scheme of things.  Prior to that I'd used them from when I was a nipper.  The 2011 picture has been hanging on various walls most of the time, it's on the wall next to me as I type this.  I still looks fine alongside others painted with Cotman and White Knights. I'd assumed they were made in this country.  You can still by the red tins for about £9, 12 colours.
Thanks for these responses - I had a play with the paints yesterday and today: not with all of them, as yet.   The blues are clean, and flow well - I'll get around to the others.   I don't know if this particular set is typical of Reeves' w/colours - it's in a cardboard box rather than a red tin: I'll research further - my initial thought is that they're no better than Cotman, and as I've found Cotman quite trustworthy, mixed with a few other brands, I don't think I'm likely to change.   I have a few SAA watercolours too - asked for opinions from two people I know who have used them: one mildly raves, the other says they're 'orrible, with a particular down on their rose madder formulation (which is different to the quite common PV 19, of which I think highly).  So not a lot of help to be had there..