Trash or treasure?

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Hi all! I was hoping you guys might be able to help? I have this painting which was my grandma's. It's not really my style and was thinking of selling it. There are details of the artist on the plaque so I've been able to get a bit of info from Google. So basically, I was wondering, is this a cheap print or an old reproduction? I don't know much about art...is there anything that I can check to establish what I have here? The plaque at the front identifies the artist and name of the painting, it appears to have a very faint signature in the bottom left corner (or maybe I'm seeing things!). The texture of the picture is bumpy. It's mounted on a piece of wood. Any info would be gratefully received 😊 thanks 

Edited
by Julia Lerman

Where is the photo? We may be able to give you some help once we see it… 
Where is the photo? We may be able to give you some help once we see it… 
Alan Bickley on 24/08/2023 16:39:31
Hi Alan, thanks for your reply, I'm sorry, I thought I'd uploaded the pics (technophobe here!). Hopefully you can see them now 😊
Got it now thanks… Hmm… well, presumably a German artist or thereabouts and I would say with a degree of certainty that it is indeed a print… which probably won’t come as a great surprise to you! As for that lumpy effect, as you yourself describe it, I can only make a guess and say that I think it is a liquid that has been applied to the surface, presumably to give the effect of being an aged oil painting - unfortunately, it sadly fails in that respect! I’ll have to check on the spelling, but this liquid effect starts with cra…….ure… Edit… found it, Craquelure I’ll refer from further comment until my learned colleague Robert Jones has given his expert judgment. Of course, I could be way off the mark, it’s never easy assessing an image from photos!

Edited
by Alan Bickley

Got it now thanks…
Hmm… well, presumably a German artist or thereabouts and I would say with a degree of certainty that it is indeed a print… which probably won’t come as a great surprise to you!
As for that lumpy effect, as you yourself describe it, I can only make a guess and say that I think it is a liquid that has been applied to the surface, presumably to give the effect of being an aged oil painting - unfortunately, it sadly fails in that respect! I’ll have to check on the spelling, but this liquid effect starts with cra…….ure…
Edit… found it, Craquelure
I’ll refer from further comment until my learned colleague Robert Jones has given his expert judgment.
Of course, I could be way off the mark, it’s never easy assessing an image from photos!
Alan Bickley on 24/08/2023 17:32:43
Hi Alan, thanks so much for your detailed reply, I really appreciate it 😊
Almost certainly a print to which a finish has been applied - the texture it created looks nothing like brush-marks; the original painting would be worth seeing, but I'm not familiar with the work of J Gruen (sorry, can't remember how to do Umlauts - I thought I'd remembered the code some while ago, but all I managed to do was turn my screen upside down ... not information you needed, but the memory lingers because it took me so long to correct it).   There are of course people who collect prints - and others who collect frames; if you sell this, though, I don't think it's going to pay for your Winter cruise.  I will try to find Herr or Monsieur Gruen - the style looks French, the name doesn't.  
Robert, I did look this up earlier -  he was a French artist….

Edited
by Jenny Harris

Well there we are, instant answer.  Your painting is the work (or rather, a print of a work) by J Grun (Umlaut over the 'u'), a French Impressionist painter, and the original dates from 1911.  It is apparently a well known painting, the artist lived from 1868 to 1938, has his own Wikipedia page,and if you owned the original you'd be doing very nicely thank you. Snag is..... well, you know!
Well done Jenny… once again you have found the original source!  I can’t offer any more information, but I hope that we’ve thrown some light on the subject for Julia… I would imagine that the Craquelure effect, which I believe it is, was applied post sale of the framed print  - but if it did have any value, applying that stuff has diminished it severely - something I’ve never seen before on a print!

Edited
by Alan Bickley

Wow, thanks everyone! What a great community you have here 😊 it's a shame I'm not in possession of an original masterpiece but it's great to find out a little more about it, thanks again 😀