Negative Painting

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
I am wondering how much interest there might be in negative painting amongst POL members?  I would be very interested to know how many people paint using various amounts of it in their work? Perhaps we could have a section for it in the Forum...
Hi Ruth, having thought about your question I use the technique more than I would have said in a lot of my paintings. I think it’s one of those things we do without giving much thought to it, I’ve never done a whole painting but certainly used it for a large part.
I think we all use the technique, without really thinking about it - i.e. using one shape to define another is, essentially, negative painting.  But there's a specific practice in which it's used very consciously and deliberately - I don't know that it would necessarily qualify for its own forum heading, but it would certainly be interesting to see some examples, or rather some more examples, of the deliberate rather than instinctive practice.