How to exhibit your art?

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 2 of 2
If you are having trouble trying to find a local art club or society, near you, go to your nearest library or art supplier. Failing that, do a search for evening classes within your borough, there might be art classes available, someone at the venue could know. All the best.
Such  helpful suggestions Carol  Yes you are right .   I belong to a local group which can be accessed vis the library etc.  word of mouth is excellent to.

Edited
by Sylvia Evans

This is how I found the art society near to where I live. I did have approval by the members when I applied to the South Wales art society. I saw a flier for a local art exhibition, bingo. Five minutes down the road.
I've been a member to two art clubs - one, with which I wasn't in much sympathy on the whole - but that was just a matter of the approach to exhibiting; eg, everything put in permanent frames and sealed at the back - I just don't like to do that; and after the death of one of its most prominent members, a remarkable genteman in his 90s, the club decided to close down.  The other was Murray Ince's Vectis Artisans - we managed a couple of exhibitions, sold hardly as much as a cold sausage, and Murray put it into abeyance; and is sadly now no longer with us.   I would join another, though am not really the joining-in kind, but the others I know about are too far away given our lack of public transport in parts of the Isle of Wight (especially the part of it I happen to live in).  I'm sure it's a good idea if you want to participate in exhibitions but don't neccessarily want to do a solo effort (I've done two or three, was it...? [well, why am I asking you, you won't know!] It was three - no it wasn't, it was four.  Yers; got there in the end: and they were satisfyingly profitable: I just don't know why I did better alone - it's certainly no reflection on my fellow artists). These days, without transport and with too many physical problems, I'd need a lot of help to put on a solo exhibition - but can testify it's worth doing if you're able to make the effort.  Local libraries, village halls, temporary shops (eg, between leases), or, if your home's big enough and accessible, your own property, are all worth trying; some of the more modern churches have space for exhibitions (even old churches, though they tend to be dark).  Or, while I'm not a member of the SAA, they have local groups which, I think, exhibit now and then.  Plus, if you're lucky and can get to it, maybe you have a local arts centre:  we have, In Newport, IW, but for me it's just the logistical difficulties: to do any damn' thing these days, it seems you need a car... Going back to the very origins of this discussion, you're unlikely to get into the Mall Gallery as has been said: but if you're fit, enthusiastic, have transport and/or friends willing to help - and a positive attitude - there are many options in most places for showing your work.  
I joined the art society way back in 2002, and after about ten year, left. I enjoyed it, people came and went, the outings were enjoyed, but it seemed to be falling into apathy with little interest in having days out to art galleries and going to places for out-door painting, this was only once or twice a year, but it was something to look forward to, especiall for those members that couldn't get places themselves.  
Art clubs and societies vary a lot.  Most are for beginners, with tuition - some of the best come out of a group of friends getting together and hiring a local hall once a week, and they can be tutored or untutored.  Just after lockdown, a friend suggested I join Ludlow Art Society - who have 2 exhibitions a year.  The entry fees are small, and there is no judging panel - although both exhibitions are in St Laurence's Church in the centre of Ludlow, so nudes would be a step to far!!  Ludlow Art Society members are mainly professional artists or experienced amateurs, and we have monthly demos from professional artists rather than painting together.  I'm also a member of the Friday Group - who paint together on Fridays en Plein Air from June to the end of September, with portrait and life drawing indoors during the colder months.  I really enjoy it, because we all work hard and concentrate in between coffee and lunch breaks.  I find out about local art shows through the other members.  I took the plunge and exhibited solo at a shared h.Art (Herefordshire Art Week) venue with a group of other artists and makers for the first time in 2019.  You pay a fee to h.Art plus another one to the venue for stand space (together this comes to about £90), but what you exhibit is up to you.
Showing page 2 of 2