How hard do YOU work?

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 2 of 2
I recently read a book by Peter Brown (Pete the Street) detailing a painting trip to India with Ken Howard and others when he painted three or four Plein air paintings a day. I don’t think I could begin to do that but it must be wonderful, especially if you’re a professional and know you can sell them!  About a year ago I had to sort out , redecorate, reorganise my spare bedroom /studio and realised how much stuff and paintings I had, much of it forgotten for years. For a couple of years I had been part of two weekly groups producing accordingly a lot of work which frankly wasn’t going anywhere. I made the decision then to concentrate on larger but fewer and hopefully better paintings with more thought and planning involved. Sometimes less is more!
Great excitement Michael.....just seen them on the gallery. 🙃
Someone once said of me "he'll do it; if you'll wait for it": they weren't referring to paintings, but to things like written reports, minutes, and all that thrilling stuff. But I'm thinking I might be guilty of slacking, having read some of your replies.  
It's not a race Robert. You do what is in your soul. If it's not there, you will have no enthusiasm, to do it. I do what takes my fancy, I don't embark on anything, that, I might consider that may become choresome. That doesn't mean, that anyone shouldn't take on difficult task's. I always believe if it's been done before, then it's achievable. If it's been done before, that's a ground, that's a measure, to improve on any aspect in life. It's not about slacking, it's about focus. I can't really speak, in art, I am trying to find my focus, the thing is, to keep pushing forward for as long as there is a breath in our bodies, to keep learning, feeling and growing. If your soul is in it, you can achieve it, I guess that's what I'm try to say.
I finished four last year…one this year so far. As Denise said, it’s not a race. Aiming for another four or five this year, that’ll do me just fine.
i find i always create my best art when i want to work when i feel up to it or just when i feel the most emotions any emotions  
I'm with Ellie on this.  I reckon my productivity is only 3 to 4 a year but also I have to have the right inspiration/source.   As I only paint portraits and animals am limited on this.  Yes, I know I should perhaps branch out but I find the inspiration a tough one.
Reading through some of the comments here, it looks like I am below average, painting (not necessarily finishing) 2 or 3 times a week, though sometimes not at all for some time. So many other things in my life compete with painting or don’t leave much time or stamina for it. I must admit though, that once I start, I do get engrossed and push myself hard, feeling drained afterwards, but often the results are worth it.
I’ve been told I’m a fast painter and I suppose I am, given that I produce many paintings, in differing sizes, throughout the year. If I spend too long on something I lose the excitement and it becomes a chore - I don’t want that! Whatever I paint I have to see an “ opening”, something that catches my attention. I’m trying to avoid painting becoming an obsession at the moment because all else becomes secondary, though I’m sitting outside at the moment and considering what to paint “ en plein air”! How different we all are in our approaches too. Looking at Frank’s portrait above, it’s rather how I approach a portrait - it may not end up exactly as the subject but I hope to catch “ something”. ( Pencil sketching for me is different, I take more care but still measure by eye, not grids ). In the end though, do what makes you happy and do it in your own way.
Reading through this thread with interest. I struggle to find the energy/enthusiasm for months on end and then suddenly I’m in the workshop tidying up or something and the next thing I know the paints are out and a canvas is covered with paint and then I can’t leave it alone. Often not pleased with the outcome but sometimes I am. I’m no good at planning a painting, it just happens. It doesn’t matter to me, it’s a hobby and shouldn’t be a chore. I don’t enjoy animal portrait commissions because they always look false to me although the animal owner always seem pleased, or polite😉
Showing page 2 of 2