Good advice, I think

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Putting this under this heading because there are good contributions on other more obvious threads which I don't want to disrupt. Alan Bickley - now; we all know, or should know, that he's one of the finest painters on this site, and that his advice is backed up by years of practice and sound experience.  I think a point he made a while ago is very worth emphasizing.  He said, in so many words, work all over the painting; don't finish bits, and then move on to other bits - because if you do, your painting could resemble either painting by numbers or a jigsaw (I paraphrase fairly heavily). This came to me today as I looked at a painting and realized it wasn't finished - so I went back in and repainted part of it (I won't say which part, because I want to show it soon and don't want you to be looking at one part of it).   I THINK I might have begun to get it right, but at this point I simply can't tell: I look at the painting, and all I can see is the repainted part (more added to than repainted, in truth - but it wasn't done at the same time as the rest of the painting in that it wasn't developed at the same pace).  Alan will know as soon as he sees it, drat  him!   But maybe others won't be able to tell the new parts of the picture from the older bits. If I'd brought the whole thing together as a unified whole (and is there anyone out there who doesn't understand how hard that is to do?) I could see the picture in its entirety without being distracted by one bit.  I shall leave it for a day or two, determinedly refuse to look at it, and (as usually happens) will be able to see if it's worked or not,  or whether a bit more work is required.   And that's the advice I'd like to leave with you - charge in too soon to change things, or at any rate make a big change and then feel forced to make others, and you're likely to go wrong - let the hotpot stew for a bit before coming back to it; in this case, I've started on a small painting, with a somewhat different palette, to turn my mind elsewhere until I can go back for a dispassionate look.  
Yers well - I've more or less finished the smaller painting, but damned if I can see as yet what's wrong with the bigger one; so, so much for THAT theory, eh?  More time required, I think!  Tell you what, though (What? what?  Don't tease us!  Patience.....)  I used Manganese Blue (Hue) in my second, much smaller, painting = now: that's a version of Pthalo Blue, because you can't get genuine Manganese any more; but it's an interesting blue (in this case from Winsor and Newton); tending to green, but nowhere near so strongly as Pthalo Blue) - it makes great greens, with a bit of yellow.  And - I offer this guidance entirely for free, it works very well with Michael Harding's Yellow Lake.    I've never used or believe in using just one paint-maker's colours: for the moment, I combine W & N, Daler-Rowney Artists' oils, and Michael Harding, supplemented by the clear and clean colours of the Michael Wilcox School of Colour.  I've never used Old Holland, Rublev, Williamsburg, and I'm running out of years!  I'll get there; if I have to live to 100, I'll use the lot eventually.....
Let the hotpot simmer for a while before checking on it again; in this example, I've begun a tiny painting with a slightly different palette to divert my attention until I can return for a dispassionate look. 
Never using just one paint-maker's colors seems to me a bit too restrictive. I am always open to trying new things, this is what my teacher said me. I mean, you mentioned that you've never used Old Holland, Rublev, or Williamsburg paints. These are all excellent brands that offer a wide range of colors. If you're looking for a specific color that your current brand doesn't offer, I would encourage you to try one of these brands. Or for example, Prussian Blue is a darker blue that is often used for shadows, while Cobalt Blue is a brighter blue that is often used for highlights. The best way to find the right colors is to experiment, I bet. There is no right or wrong answer, so have fun and enjoy the process!
That was two years ago - since then I've used Rublev, Wallace Seymour, but still not Old Holland and Williamsburg - not so much a matter of choice for not using those two, or even of price:  I just haven't yet wandered in that direction.  
I’ve used pretty much all of the quality artists quality oil paints over the years. I’m currently trying out the Wallace Seymour range of oils for a test report that I’ve been asked to write. I’ve not got the full range of colours obviously…but I’ve selected nine colours to try out. I’m using them in conjunction with their own recommended mediums, and so far I’m extremely impressed with them. In fact, as things stand, I believe that they are the best oil paints I’ve ever used… early days yet with my trials, but suffice to say that I like them… I won’t get into the reasons just yet, but all will be revealed in due course!
Just got some Williamsburg. Superb quality. You can actually smell the colorant in the black. However, I find that Old Holland black has the best covering power.  Going to try one of the Williamsburg whites. Says it’s the best covering power of all whites available. Rembrandt is good too. 
Two brands I still haven't used (Williamsburg and Old Holland): a friend of mine, now tragically deceased, used Old Holland among other paints - I remember a Golden Barok Red, and thought - I've got to get some of that!.  But as yet I haven't.  I have a feeling that Williamsburg is owned by the Golden Paint Co; it's certainly a US brand, and Golden make fine acrylics;   Martin - do let us know how you get on with the whites.   I have used the Wallace Seymour, which Alan mentions, on which he's writing a report - it is indeed excellent; and I've used Rembrandt, another Dutch brand (from the Royal Talens company - they also make the slightly less top of the range Van Gogh paints).  And I agree it IS good - as is their watercolour range - the blues, in particular, have such a heavy pigment load they make other brands look grey.   I feel a very strong urge to go shopping.... 
Thanks for the reply. So far Williamsburg colours are drying faster. Maybe the heat. Old Holland black I find the best for blending. Can go to less shadowy parts of the painting and carry on without loading my brush up again. Williamsburg ( again) colour seems to be truer the thinner it is. Probably good for glazing, not that I do