Best camera for accurate colour?

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 2 of 2
In case anyone else is considering purchasing a Cannon SX720 HS, be aware that it will not take images in RAW format.  Having said that, the images it takes are first class and satisfactory for most purposes being much better at rendering a good image of a painting than the camera on my tablet.  Already I have taken photos and printed off at A4 size that are much more accurate than I was previously able to achieve.  The price which at £199 to include a gorilla pod and case is excellent value, its an old model but the subsequent expensive upgrades keep the same lens and CCD.  This camera comes with a 40X optical zoom giving I think an incredible 24- 900 mm equivalent lens and image stabilisation.  Venturing from its automatic setting there are lots of adjustments available to satisfy the keener photographer (although I must admit that I have yet to fathom out much of this).  Above all though, the best camera is one that you have with you when it is needed and I wanted a camera that would take a very good photo, with a reasonable zoom but didn't want to lug around a large and heavy bridge or DSLR, such a camera would get left behind a lot of the time.  This camera is ideal as it is small enough even to put into the pocket of my jeans.  This means it will go with me when I am out walking or visiting anywhere and that to me is a very real bonus.  I am particularly grateful to Alan Bickley for suggesting this particular camera - thanks!
Thanks for coming back on this Steve. Yes, there are a lot of settlings to get to grips with, but the instructions are relatively straightforward!  As for the RAW image setting not being available, I actually hadn’t realised that, but it’s not that critical otherwise Saatchi Online wouldn’t be recommending this model in their video on how to photograph your artwork. This is the reason I bought mine, their video is worth watching, although they are photographing their artwork indoors with lightning, I much prefer outdoors in a stable natural light!
Showing page 2 of 2