Reviews

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Thanks to all the artists who kindly agreed to review a host of art materials for us! These are gradually being made live this week and can be seen here https://www.painters-online.co.uk/reviews/ Our Christmas Gift Guide 2023 also goes live at the end of the week - ho, ho, ho!
You're very welcome and I have enjoyed reading the other review, some really good information and tips on all of them.
Ha, Bumbug! No, hang on, that's not right, is it.....? I don't entirely agree with one small point on one of the reviews so far published, but in the spirit of festive cheer, and because I'm waiting for my review to appear and don't wish to encourage criticism of it, I shall Hold Myself In.  
I’ll take an educated guess Robert… it’s my use of several of the Wallace Seymour medium that I’ve used… asked to try out I should say, and used very sparingly. We do differ on this subject as you know, I can’t paint without a touch or two to loosen up the paint, as well as other reasons when I paint in layers!

Edited
by Alan Bickley

T'weren't that.  No, it concerned water-miscible oils.  The review was fine, but did make the point that water-miscibles don't need solvents (so it touches on yours as well). Regular oils don't need solvents, either.  There is no need to be deterred from using them because one can't deal with the powerful hum of Turpentine, or the hazards of other petroleum- or resin-based spirits. I don't have any issue with using Turps, and indeed, I always have a bottle to hand, however rarely I use it.  It's the automatic association of regular oils with Turps or OMS that I object to.  You don't HAVE to use it; it's a false choice, and frankly a choice that's used to shift product on the part of the paint companies.  Oil is not a solvent, and a drop of Linseed oil is usually all that you need (though that shouldn't be resorted to automatically either).   Otherwise, the review of the water-miscible paints  is good, for those who want, for whatever reason, to use them.