Multiple Identical Postings in Gallery

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
There seems to be a rash of no-fault multiple postings of the same paintings by artists. This is obviously caused by the delays for security and file conversion when people post a picture, so they get fed up and click again, or think the first click hasn't worked.  This is a  general appeal to people to always check that you haven't posted an item more than once and if you have then please go into your account and delete the duplicate postings. It's not rocket science to do this, it's just good practice to check it, and it means that there's more space on Page 1 for different artists.  Also if you see a duplicate posting please politely tell the artist that they have posted a duplicate - they may not realise.  Thanks . 
Its needed to be patient and waiting for the image to be uploaded, as you say they click again. Sometimes it does take a while and you may not be the only one uploading at the same time, but the patient wait is worth it.  
If you seem to be waiting a long time for a painting to upload, open up another tab on your browser and navigate to POL gallery. More often than not, your painting is there before you’ve had conformation on the previous tab.
Frank that is what  I do most of the time the painting is there I then close the original tab that’s still trying to load . 
In an ideal world, there should be a progress bar that opens the instant you click the 'Add Image' button with the 'Add Image' button then  greyed out until the progress bar reaches 100%.   Just a suggestion. 
Frank that is what  I do most of the time the painting is there I then close the original tab that’s still trying to load . 
Paul  (Dixie) Dean on 12/03/2024 14:18:18
That is what I do, but i guess if you don’t use the gallery often, you can’t be expected to know that. I assume it’s a glitch in the system. Also I’m sure it didn’t used to happen.  As frank said it’s easy enough to delete a duplicate, but obviously quite a few don’t know how.  Maybe some basic instructions for loading and deleting could be included in the monthly newsletter?
mh, maybe it's something to do with my browser (Firefox) and PC. When I upload an image, after I click I see a small dot at the top of the tab that circles and circles, and then I know as long as it circles , POL is “working to upload” and I’ll just wait for that time. That's about 10-20 seconds on average. As soon as the image is uploaded, the circling stops.
Tanja, that’s what I see and do. Clearly a lot of people don’t notice this or just accidentally click again. There needs to be a bigger ‘upload in progress’ indicator, or as Tessa suggests some instruction in the newsletter. 
Thanks for all the feedback here - I have added some copy to the My Art area about the risk of multiple postings - might not be read by everyone but hopefully it will stop some! If I spot duplicates early enough I do remove them - I don't like to do so when their are comments added though. I will have a think about including something in a future newsletter too....
Thank you Dawn, it’s a good warning and should help reduce multiple postings. Much appreciated for the quick response!
Thanks Dawn.
The problem seems to be that Cloudflare, installed to catch spammers, hackers, bots, and other contemporary curses, doesn't work too well with some browsers (perhaps it works better with Bing - though for all that Microsoft pushes it at us, Bing seems to be unpopular). The answer - apart from reconfiguring Cloudflare, which may not be possible - is given in the first few posts of this thread: open a new tab, and your post is invariably there.  If Cloudflare prevents infestation by bots, it's a price well worth paying.