Replicating the Old Masters Inks

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
In collaboration with Fiona, I’m in the process of writing an article relating to making your own traditional style inks, those used by the likes of Rembrandt to name just one famous 17th century artist - using all natural ingredients obviously! I know… why bother! Life’s too short and all that stuff, but it can be interesting, fun, and quite rewarding, starting off the process with foraging for the raw elements that are needed. Now we all love a bit of foraging don’t we? Dawn will eventually be showcasing it in one of her online Studio Plus monthly articles… or something similar! I won’t get into any details yet, but I hope that you will enjoy reading it, and having a look at a few pieces of artwork by myself and Fiona, using the inks.
I’ve enclosed a couple of shots from the article, you can see the useful ink colours that you can make!
It sounds really interesting Alan and I shall be looking forward to seeing it in full.
Thanks Denise, I was beginning to think that I was all alone… I hope some of you find it interesting, a lot of work has gone into it, Fiona more than me!
I believe articles like this, are a very important learning tool Alan and I should imagine there will be a lot to take away from it.
I'm looking forward to seeing this Alan. I love trying things like this. I've given up trying to explain half of the things I do to the why bother brigade. 
The foraging is the most enjoyable part for me Al! Collecting (from fallen produce) the correct ingredients to get the right coloured inks once they’ve been through their individual process, is fun.  Then trying to replicate …..using the same plants, bark, minerals etc…..into writing and drawing inks is a challenge, especially with respect to one particular ingredient, ammonia! For the first batch of the Lichen inks I did try the natural way to acquire ammonia, but to be honest, it wasn’t very hygienic for a start, and I had to wear a mask! 🤢 In the end opted for the ready processed version. That’s one issue you didn’t have with your ink at least Alan. More info on the recipes, methods, pitfalls and quality in the article.
This sounds interesting.  'Hubble bubble, toil and trouble'...a touch of the mystics.  Doing it this way you can really say it's all your own work.  I shall watch/read with interest.
It's always worth making your own materials, and mixing up ready-made materials - I do more of the latter than the former; dimly remember using an ink made from stewed nettles (that wasn't the sum total of the process).  I don't remember it being particularly successful, but I do remember the stink.  However, if you don't try, you can't know - ditto with, e.g., reed and bamboo pens; or, if you're Alan Owen (and I think Alan Bickley?) bits of twig and old clothes pegs.   I have a current yen - as it were - to acquire Japanese or Chinese wolf-hair brushes (know that few of these brushes have ever actually troubled a wolf) for use with Chinese and other inks.  Another rabbit-hole to explore. 
Just bringing this to the front again, in case anyone missed it!
Ah, I missed an important bit.  The article will be in Studio Plus.  I'm not a member of Studio Plus.  So I won't be able to see it.  Shame.
That was my assumption Lew, but I don’t know… These things tend to eventually end up in the Tips & Techniques section or similar on the forum… I’ll ask the question, I’m confident that Dawn will use it elsewhere, she generally does, and has done with the many features I’ve written for her over the years!