Why are some parts of my painting shiny and others Matt?

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Hello I'm trying to work out why sometimes my oils are glossy and another time Matt. I'm not using any mediums at the moment apart from solvent. Is this just the nature of some oil paint or too much layering?  I know I can eventually varnish my painting in six months to even it out, but still it's a little frustrating to have to wait so long.  Any suggestions? Thank you Alicia
I can't speak for oil paint, but I use acrylic and different brands have different sheens (matt / shiny)
Largely unavoidable Alicia, that’s in my own experience over the years. It can, to some extent depend on the quality of paint you’re using, certain pigments will dry duller.  Also, reduce the amount of solvent or medium that you use, you don’t really need any actually, there’s plenty already in the paint. However, it is sometimes necessary to add a drop occasionally.  Also, do make sure that your support, particularly if you’re using a stretched canvas, is well primed with quality gesso, not household emulsion.
Agreed, it's a common issue.  Maybe 1) Avoid Burnt Umber, which has a strong tendency to sink in; 2) Use Linseed oil, sparingly, instead of solvent - solvent will always lead to dry patches, because you're disrupting the oil - if you must use a solvent, use a high quality resinous turpentine, and put up with the smell and health-hazard, because it's better for the paint than low-odour thinners, white spirit, and their ilk.  But 3) oil paints vary considerably in the amount of oil needed to mill them, and there is some brand-to-brand variance as well - so you're always likely to experience this issue, but there are ways, as suggested, of mitigating it.  
This is sometimes the paint that gives you the effect. If you are using gouache paint then it will give you matte finish as compared to other paints. If you are using different paints then you must have knowledge about the effects of the paints.
Evangelina - this is a thread about oil colour; gouache is irrelevant to it; and in any event, the use of gouache isn't going to create areas of gloss as opposed to matte; it's a completely different medium.