What do I do now?

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
I've got piles of yellow ochre, cadmium yellow light, and quinacridone violet on my palette, a bit of ultramarine, a touch of burnt umber, and a bit of titanium white.   And if left, they're going to dry out - but I can't think what to paint!  Or at least, can't make my mind up - this is what happens when you buy a collection of different boards and paint in three different media - which one to use for what subject?  This is just an observation, because I doubt if anyone has any helpful ideas (of course: you never know!).  I wonder if this is a common phenomenon, or .... just me.....?
You’re obviously talking oil paints here, looking at some of the colours. I can’t offer any advice other than to look out of the window and just go for it! Rooftops,  trees, sea, anything. Failing that, do as I generally do, and resort to sketch books for inspiration! I’m assuming that you can’t get out and about at present of course, I’m still largely confined to barracks myself. But, if the enthusiasm and drive has temporarily deserted you, which it does occasionally for us all, it’s time to take a short break from art...

Edited
by Alan Bickley

Living in the countryside Robert, we are currently surrounded by fields of ripening crops awaiting harvest time. That would seem appropriate to your palette sitting there waiting for you!  Otherwise, have you any flowers in your garden?  Apart from that I can’t beat Alan’s suggestions. It seems to me quite an appealing selection of colours which I would commonly use for landscape. Good luck, and just do something before they all dry out! Edit. Incidentally, after writing the above, I received a daily email from Christian Art which today shows Van Goch’s Wheatfields With Cypresses. Inspiration if you need it. I know you wouldn’t attempt to copy anything direct but it’s just the sort of scene and colour scheme I was thinking of.

Edited
by Tessa Gwynne