Wallace Seymour Oils

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
I think I might have made a faintly disparaging remark about one of the Wallace Seymour paints the other day - snag is, I post opinions in all sorts of places, and it might not have been here.  I must do something to enliven those memory cells.... Anyway, I know that somewhere I've suggested that the Wallace Seymour Flake White NT (i.e., non-toxic) was heavy in oil, and not a lot like Flake White.  Well, one should always confess when one's wrong, and I was, in one respect anyway.  It IS very heavy in oil - but then, some excellent paints are; it's not really a problem, and if it bothers you, you can squeeze the paint onto an absorbent surface - eg a good quality piece of kitchen roll - and then transfer it to your palette.  It's a sign of the pigment being difficult to create without a lot of oil in the process, and that isn't a criticism (not that I said it was, but it might have been read that way). Having done a few paintings and studies in the last few days, and giving the paint a better chance to prove itself, though, I can say that my opinion of it has improved exponentially - it's one of several new whites they've introduced, I've tried this and their Lowry White, and in reflection I think they're a big step forward.  Nothing can replace lead - it has a material strength and workability that can't be (or hasn't been) replicated: but try the WS's range - and persevere with them (I reacted too quickly).  If you want a paint that's not too chalky, won't overwhelm other colours, stays workable for a satisfying period of time but doesn't take a day and an age to dry - having made the effort to learn how to use it (to get used to it, perhaps, would be more accurate) I'm now very happy to join in Alan Bickley's wholehearted endorsement of this range, in his excellent review on POL.  Happy and pleased, because I'm convinced this paint has benefited my painting!
https://www.painters-online.co.uk/reviews/wallace-seymour-oil-paints-put-to-the-test/ Alan's review. 
Well, if it’s been beneficial Robert, then that’s a great result - I will buy a large tube of the WS Flake white when I next order more oils… I ran out of the real lead stuff six months ago!
I read Alan's article. I've not tried WS oils but I do use Flake White frequently. I am in need of another large tube, so I will be ordering it.
I have a lot of white to get through just yet