Vanishes and oil painting

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Hi! I have a question about using a vanish. What to do if an oil painting has to go to a new home in a couple of weeks time, but not vanished? It was finished only a few days ago, so it will not be ready for vanishing. What could you recommend is such situation - send it as it is or vanish? And what happens if to vanish a painting that was completed less then 6 months ago? Thank you.
Well it’s likely to cause all manner of problems in the future! The varnish may soften the oil paint and would almost certainly make it impossible to remove at a later date, not to mention any reaction between the two. There are also issues of cracking and so on, loads more problems in fact. However, there is a possible solution here... have a look at Gamblin Gamvar, they claim that it can be brushed on once the oil paint is touch dry.   How accurate is this claim?, well it’s a long established company so you may feel it’s worth the risk! I did try it out a while back on one of my scrap paintings, and there were no visible issues, but of course it’s always better if you can wait 6 months or more as we all know!

Edited
by Alan Bickley

There's a long running debate about Gamvar - Gamblin's claims for it are contested by the painter Virgil Elliott, who knows more about paint and paint additives than just about anyone other than professional paintmaker-chemists. In your place, I wouldn't trust it; I'd advise the customer that the painting will need to be varnished in 6 to 12 months, depending on the thickness of the paint; if they can do it themselves, I would recommend the appropriate varnish; and if I were in reach, I'd rock up and varnish it myself (I'd prefer to do that, because I know what I'm doing - hopefully...).   I would also avoid retouching varnish - but some use it.  I really doesn't help much, though, because it doesn't last (and has other drawbacks, like remaining permanently tacky) and you'll have to varnish the picture again in due course anyway. 
I'd send it over but rather than a recomendation to get it varnished.  I'd include an offer to varnish at the appropriate time should they wish to do so.

Edited
by Antony Haas