Issue from the Gallery

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 2 of 2
I always use my iPad (or iPhone) to take photos of my paintings for the gallery or social media etc and get good results. Reconditioned iPads can be purchased far cheaper than new. Look on apple website 
Thanks Gillian, and indeed all who have commented.  I have ordered the Nikon phone Alan recommended, and if I find the problem is just me and my tremor, or living in a very dark home, I'll think about an Ipad or Iphone - probably should get one or the other anyway, really - our banks seem to insist on their wretched apps these days, and you can't use those on a desktop pc! I can tell you one thing, from the deep depths of disappointed experience - never rely on a Vivitar - not that I look gift-horses in the mouth, but what a b. awful camera it is!  I have taken a sort of OK photo with my ageing Olympus - might try that on the Gallery.  The big problem has been the colour (and of course the clarity): the Olympus has greyed my painting out, and while I can adjust it with any number of programmes, including The Gimp, the more you enhance one colour, the more you exaggerate the others: my river scene made use of Michael Harding's Yellow Ochre Deep - a fabulous colour, but photographing it with my pathetic equipment just boosts colours that really don't need boosting, as if it wants them to catch up with it.  I got a half-way OK version of it, when playing about this evening: might show it here...... if you see it then I have, and if you don't: well then, I either haven't or couldn't.  
Well, that's better, but too enlarged = the picture is only 8" by 8", so there's obvious distortion.  
There is an improvement, the earlier one was a sort of double vision on my screen. Anyway, new camera on the way… excellent and not before time, you’ll agree there I’m sure! But, you really do need to take your photos outside, obviously not in direct sunlight, so no issues there at present…
Just call me The Man Who Never Learns - or MWNL for short.  I tried to upload another photo, which looked not too horrendous on my screen: and a bit like death warmed up on the Gallery.  Right: that's it: now stop!  I shall post nothing else until I can get a good photo of it. Looking at the one above again, too - it's hideous!  Greyed out the blues and yellows, made it look as if bare canvas were showing through..  And if my late friend Shirley had seen the Gallery posting, she'd have thumped me!
I use a Sony DSC HX90V. It has x30 optical zoom, high resolution, a viewfinder (useful in bright sunshine), and GPS( which allows you to find out exactly where you took a picture.
Barrie - I'll try the camera I've just bought first, but am so fed up with producing rotten photographs which make my paintings look (as above) FAR worse than they really are (and being unable to prove that they're far better....) I'm going to make a genuine effort here, whatever it takes.  I have a friend who's a professional photographer - snag is, he's in Eire, but he can still give me advice.  What I'm not understanding is that my two Olympus cameras used to work fine for me - so the failure has got to have a lot to do with me: I know I shake a little more than I used to; and I don't have access to a conservatory any more, in which I was allowed to photograph .... Well, this is a work in progress, but I shall keep at it.
Oh Robert I do hope you sort it out. I also have what I call a proper camera and have spent a life time taking photographs... But have found both my secondhand I phone  and my now getting ancient iPad  Tale super pics .   A thought. 
Showing page 2 of 2