How to store paintings ?

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 3 of 3
Quick point - oil priming for acrylic paintings don't work at all; the paint peels off, not immediately but in a matter of days. Most canvases and boards are primed with a thin layer of acrylic "gesso" and we're told this is sound practice ... I'd only be concerned if painting in oil on a flexible surface, ie canvas, over thick acrylic, which is why all my underpainting for oils employs oil paint thinned with low odour thinners/Sansodor. I doubt that there'd be a problem using acrylic paint, and I keep meaning to try it under oils, but innate caution holds me back. You're right that we don't really know what the longer-term effects of oil over acrylic will be - we only have around 50 useful years of experience with acrylic, as against hundreds with oil. In theory, there shouldn't be problems - but in theory, we were going to have a barbecue summer last year.....
Work as you want - plenty of experienced painters use the grid, and detailed drawing before they lay in colour; it's not a method that I'd use, but we all have our own way of approaching the canvas. My only criterion is, does this work for me?
By all means grid-up to your final size...eventually you will have the confidence to go directly, to say, the canvas...it is only a simplified impression you are going to paint after all, surely?
I cannot grid to save my life never was good at maths! I go straight in that's the way I have always painted. Other than detailed drawings purely by eye, starting with a building and then drawing everything with reference to height and perspective of that building. Plein air work and photographs have definitely helped me. With regard to Acrylic. I find that I can now work with them just the same as oils. It's trial and error. They have the same transparent qualities as oils and impasto work as with oils. Keep going Ruth. Like Aqua I have at times under-painted with acrylic (It dries to quickly) and over-painted in oil.
Showing page 3 of 3