How do you dispose of the used thinner after painting?

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 3 of 3
I agree with Sylvia Paul, I don't think you should be sorry for anything.
Thank you Sylvia, Colin and Denise for you support.  
What did I say…..was I out of order? I thought I had been polite…..
It wasn't you that was out of order Fiona, you gave a very good reply to a barrage of unnecessary questions from the other member.
I don't believe any of us were out of order. A reasonable question was asked and initial replies were also reasonable, being based on knowledge and experience.   But replies from one respondent, whilst clearly very knowledgeable, gave the impression of also being judgemental; the poster clearly allowing her personal lifestyle practices to influence her opinion. That's unfair to others. I think later ripostes were to be expected. It is a forum, after all!  🤔 It is a pity that she felt the need to erase her posts (here and in other threads) as the 'discussion' now appears fragmented.
What was the substantive point being made, leaving aside any personal points?  I started the day by getting too stuck into a book so missed all this;  I know that Shazia is a vegan, and presumably has downright views on not only disposing of materials, but also on the sources from which they come in the first place - and take it that this was the problem... is there any way of resurrecting the bones of the argument, rather than dwelling on the reactions to it?  There are useful and important things to be said about sourcing materials, colourmakers' practices and so on - balance being important in all of them, because it is simply not possible to eliminate all forms of contamination; risks exist, but can be mitigated; some risks are over-stated, some casually minimized. Fairly obvious though that the antithesis of a balanced discussion is the situation we're left with when a member - presumably ex-member now - removes all of their contributions to it.  
Comment deleted as Shazia replied as I was typing.

Edited
by Colin Berwick

I did the same Colin.  

Edited
by Sylvia Evans

All rather unfortunate, and I'm sensing crossed wires - - disposal of hazardous materials is obviously important: but I think we all know this; I've never felt easy about using any animal product in painting materials, though my concern is for those animals which are killed in order to provide them (and even there, I'm not aware of materials from animals killed purely for artistic use); so I'll use synthetic brushes whenever I can, haven't bought a sable in years, but hog bristle seems acceptable to me - hogs certainly aren't killed just to make brushes, though I do also realize that they're not the products of pigs having a nice shave.... But - I use heavy-metal based paints, Cadmiums, lead, cobalts - while I don't use Turpentine in painting, I do have a bottle handy at all times - and it has been demonstrated often enough a) that our contribution to global pollution is minimal, b) that nonetheless, care should be taken with disposal of materials, and we should all be aware of local regulations on that disposal. That's why it was worth having the discussion, and why I thought we ought to fill in the gaps.  As for the parting of the ways, though - well, it's happened, and probably it would be unwise to make any further comment on it: other than that - I hope Shazia will think again, or at least return at some point: the tone of comments can be entirely misunderstood (that's why countries have a diplomatic service.....).

Edited
by Robert Jones, NAPA

I doubt she will return.
Showing page 3 of 3