Dangerous chemicals, fat over lean and so on.....

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 2 of 2
Thanks Robert, my daughter is lovely – apart from when she's not :-) but she is very curious over things. I have a few plaster casts to practice drawing from and she loves playing with them and making them chat to each other - one now has no nose!! Yes, I avoid all toxic pigments (I do have some old tunes of cobalt blue, cadmiums but they stay well hidden). As for lead white, I really want to try it as I have been following some atelier training where flake white is used , but it's impossible to purchase. From white I can understand you need to fill in a form and have proof you are an antiques restorer??! Although Art Discount seems to have Michael harding Cremitz white without mention of needing evidence...any thoughts?
Gary - you can buy Cremnitz White from Art Discount wth no problems; you can buy Flake White from the Supreme Paint Company, or from the European site for Natural Pigments.  You might need to have the form if you go to Natural Pigments, but it's easy to obtain it on their site and you don't need to be a restorer - I forget what the conditions are, but you'll be able to meet them.   Given the restrictions placed on it some time ago - by the EU, but stupidly over-interpreted by British authorities - I bought a considerable quantity of Cremnitz and Flemish White around 2 years ago.  Hoping to live long enough to use it all.. I'm sure your daughter is delightful, by the way!  I'm just nervous of kids in studios.  
Thanks you for that information Robert...I think I may have to do a purchase to find out what all the fuss is about regarding lead white. Yes, I am also nervous of my daughter in the studio - it's one of the reasons I only get to paint 3 times a week - when she is nursery. 
Showing page 2 of 2