Alan's oil demo

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Under Tips and Techniques, there are several articles and demonstrations, and of course one of the more interesting is by Alan Bickley (taken from an article of his in  The Artist).  I've made a comment on it on that page, but would just take up one point here which I think worth making, bearing in mind more people will probably see it. Being a YouTube addict - anything from painting in all media, to history documentaries, old films - and cleaning out ear wax (it's addictive, really) - I've watched several videos by Charles Evans among others.  He usually works in water-based media, but I imagine he'd say the same of oil paint; he argued that you should only use one blue in a landscape painting - i.e. that the blue you use to mix other colours should be the same as the one you use in the sky. Alan, however, introduced Pthalo Blue to his sky, and also had Blue-Black on his palette (which I imagine wasn't also used in the sky, though could have been): i.e. Pthalo, plus Cobalt (genuine), plus Cerulean (doubtless ditto). Had he been using student quality colours, he would indeed have used the same basic blue with all of these, since Cobalt Blue (Hue) and Cerulean (Hue) are both usually based on a very reduced Pthalo, with the addition usually of other hues: hence the huge price difference.  Genuine Cobalt and Cerulean are however very different to Pthalo.  And with all due respect to Charles Evans -- I don't think Alan's  painting, in this case or any others, looks even slightly unnatural - as Charles suggests it might. Given I had restricted myself to Ultramarine in my last painting, and am not very happy with it in consequence, I think Alan has re-converted me to using a range of blues (and other colours): I'm all for colour harmony, but not for blandness.  I'll post my all-Ultramarine shortly, with which I have another issue: I'm not at all sure that Cadmium Yellow is ever a good colour to use un-mixed - I did, and wished I hadn't.  Still: I can always work on it again: or even just paint it again with a different palette.
Well I’m pleased that you enjoyed my demo Robert, it’s good to know that there’s somebody out there reading them - I rarely get any comments on them. Anyway, my way is not necessarily the way that I was taught to paint at college, that was more traditional! I do like experimenting with colours, and I am slightly unconventional in this approach at times. I do like Pthalo blue in moderation, it adds a bit of zing that other blues can’t give me. Cobalt genuine is a firm favourite of mine, always has been, and well worth paying the price - you don’t need a lot. No, the W&N Blue/Black wasn’t introduced into the sky, but I do find it a useful addition to my palette and I hate black from a tube. Actually, I’m not looking for realistic colours particularly in any of my work, I’m never looking for anything remotely photographic in style or colour  - I enjoy pushing the boundaries - it doesn’t always come off!