November 2021 challenge

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 1 of 3
Another month almost over - how does that keep happening! Your challenge for November is to be inspired by the 75th anniversary of the opening of Peter Scott's Slimbridge Wetland Reserve in Gloucestershire. 100 acres of beautiful wetland, teaming with birds and wildlife - I hope there's something to inspire you as the days grow shorter.
Wasn’t familiar with the Slimbridge Wetland Reserve and was amazed to see how many Flamingos it has!  (Only just caught sight of the November challenge before it dropped out of sight on the Forum.)
This is beautiful Jenny, I was reading their flock is over 100.
Thanks, Denise.  (I’ve just read that a group of flamingos is called a flamboyance, which is rather apt - apparently both words originate from the French word for flame.)  I hope more people have a go at this challenge before it drops out of sight again!

Edited
by Jenny Harris

Lots of lovely  words and paintings , thank you for joining me in thanking the team. I hope more people add a painting or just a thank you as well Jenny. 
Well Jenny, I was looking at the Slimbridge site to get some background and noticed they had black swans. I just did this for the challenge.
I use to go there quite often when I lived fairly close, but that was before I took up painting and used to work for a living.  They have loads of different types of ducks, there as well as the swans and Flamingos.  January is a good, time to go as you will be able to see the visiting geese.  There is also a hide to watch a kingfisher.  The don’t have any cormorants as far as I remember, otherwise I would have posted it here.  Will have to scratch my head over this one.
That’s lovely, Denise, works well on the black background. Linda, I’d love to visit Slimbridge, but it’s a bit far for us to travel.

Edited
by Jenny Harris

Thanks Jenny, my uncle lives in Gloucestershire, next time I visit him, I must pay a visit to the centre. We have quite a few cormorants in Liverpool Linda, I'm always overjoyed when I see one. I must try and get some pictures of them next time.
I haven’t visited slimbridge so not sure how the landscape looks,  this is how I imagine part of it would look like. 
Cormorant in a quandary and Cormorant keeping an eye on the ball. Both at Pennington flash..
Kingfisher in the reeds.

Edited
by Linda Wilson

Showing page 1 of 3