June 2021 challenge

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 1 of 4
It's been great seeing the forum buzzing with bees throughout May! How can we be heading to June already? For this month's challenge, think back to the favourite games you used to play as a child, or even those you enjoy now, and get painting or drawing. Let's see how many of remember the same ones!
Hmmm, that will take some thinking about! Good one.
Quick pencil sketch of a game we played in the 50"s we called it 'Bung out' played with a tin can .
Marbles a crop from the picture 'vim tin'
Spent a happy hour drawing hide and seek. .  Lots of bricks in this challenge.. lol.
Snap Sylvia, I had the same idea. Good start Bari.
Plus plait . 
Not much drawing in mine, I’m afraid.  Apparently Roman soldiers used hopscotch as a means of testing their stamina and speed, so this favourite children’s game goes back a long way!  (Sorry the image is so big, can’t seem to reduce the size on my iPad.)

Edited
by Jenny Harris

It’s so long since I played hop scotch ...not telling how long.   I wonder how it tested their stamina .did they just keep playing until they dropped.  Curious. Will Google . Have Googled... their pitches were a hundred feet long and they wore full armour , a sort of endurance test. 

Edited
by Sylvia Evans

I had a sandpit - a solitary child (you are to imagine a soulful violin playing at this point), I used to build castles (and collapse them) for my knights; and then repaint them when the harsh sand eroded some of their colours....   But I'm not painting that!  Far too much like hard work.  I didn't play other games, so far as I remember - too busy in my sandpit.  Various dogs joined me occasionally.   We were encouraged to play children's games (and sing silly songs - eg I seem to remember 'If you're happy and you know it clap your hands': but can that really be 60 years old?  Anyway, I seem to recall substituting 'bugger off' for 'clap your hands'; but this might have been many years later); the idea was, I suppose, that these were in some way good for us - a delusion, in my opinion.  How could doing anything with other wretched kids possibly be good for us? I did enjoy country dancing, though - much better than gymnastics.   But - is that really qualifying as a game?  Would Dawn allow it?  (I hope not, because that'd be hard work, too...) We've had paint money, paint bees, now we've got chillun's games - I need more temptation to participate than this..... I await the full ingenuity of PoL to come to the fore and provide a challenge in which I'd like to join.  Once an awkward little Wotsit, always an awkward little Wotsit...... PS: Of the games I play now, Solitaire (you guessed that would be one of them, of course) is hard to illustrate.  Of the games I used to play as a younger man - well; they need a veil, or thick army blanket, over them.  

Edited
by Robert Jones, NAPA

You could have a game of cards..,nothing wrong with Solitaire . Or Poker, or Snap. Go on Robert... I dare you. 
Snakes and ladders...
Showing page 1 of 4