June 2021 challenge

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 2 of 4
Hide & seek still popular world wide ..painting from a photo I took in Italy..
We had a game called 'piggyback bundle' at our infants school.  There was a big L shaped playground around our school, and only one teacher on playground duty.  We'd pick the part of the 'L' that was teacherless, and start playing piggyback bundle.   The game only lasted until the teacher heard all the racket and he/she broke it up. Very few rules...you had to pull the boy off the lad giving him a piggyback.  'Pull' only, no punching or pushing.  But most kids had only a tenuous relationship with the rules.  Mostly boys, but there were a few terrifying girls who insisted on joining in. Here's a quick doodly sketch.... Actually this doesn't quality as a 'bundle', you needed at least a dozen duos like this for a bundle.  We were nippers, so we didn't have far to fall and seemed to be made of india rubber in those days.  It was great fun.  I'm guessing it was played pretty much everywhere.  (I'm talking late 1940s.)
New one on me Lewis and I was in juniors in the late 40s but love the drawing..
Another favourite childhood game - Jacks - although I spent most of my childhood exploring the local woods and fields or helping at the local stables - and drawing and painting when at home!

Edited
by Jenny Harris

Jacks we played with pebbles, Woods and fields were a good days walk, the corporation stables were for the horses that pulled the dust carts . Happy days 😄
I remember playing, a version of this when I was in the juniors Lewis. Along with a couple of other friendly games, needless to say you could get in a lot of trouble if caught. Nice painting for hide and go seek Bari. Never did play jacks Jenny. I am posting 2 , another hopscotch, and a game with many names, so I made a cryptic drawing.
What lovely pics of games from another era.  Ido remember your one Lew but it had a different name, elf and safety... Great subject , I’m busy sorting ancient painting materials into heaps of might be useful.  Is useful and shove in the bin.  So am looking for time to do another one. 
I recall most of the games depicted.  I expect some had different names in different areas, as Sylvia and Alan suggest. My school was in Greenwich, South London.  'Bundle' was a another name for a fight, so 'piggy-back bundle' it was.
Alan  your very cryptic clue in your second illustration , has me flumoxed .
I think Alan’s second game might be what we in the North East called “ chasey”. Another interesting thing about it was the word for when you crossed your fingers so you couldn’t be caught. Ours was “ skinch! “ other parts of the country had different words “ pax” was another one.
Ohhh, haaaa Marjorie ,Wise woman.   Tic,Tig,, kiss chase , yes of course!   You could also run to a specified area jump on it ,cross your fingers and shout Pax. Latin for Peace.. your word has a possibility of meanings from Whore  to Skint. But then you did have a surplus of Vikings up where you live.  Then looking at Alan’s word “ Lurgy”  possible origin Black Death as also in Ring a roses.  Kids these days only have their phones.  I wonder if “ our “ games will or have died out  taking a whole cultural history with them. Food for thought at four in the morning. 
Showing page 2 of 4