January 2022

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 1 of 3
Happy New Year everyone! For our first challenge of 2022 simply share your first painting of the year and tell us what you'd like to acheive artistically before the year is out.
Haven't done it yet..... still working on a 2021 effort..  Give us a day or four..
This is my first watercolour of the year , I did it as a warm up exercise having not painted for two  week. I also started sketching again  the attached is from the pad I’m doing for my granddaughters, it’s not complete yet.  I want to do more sketching this year , and while I like details in painting I want to try and return to a looser style a bit more . Happy New Year to Dawn  and her team and all on POL . I hope you all remain safe and well and have many happy hours of painting , sketching and any other art that you enjoy throughout the year.
A good challenge to start the year and a Happy New Year to all the POL team. I am trying to learn myself how to do portraits, so I have been doing a few of the masters by eye. This was the first of this year. Before the year is out, I would like to continue to improve in all areas of art that I do and keep getting plenty of practice. I would also like some real art lessons I think. I hope by the middle of the year I'll have much more experience and confidence with portraits. Continuing improving will be my main aim this year.
More of the same for me I guess, I have a few themes I'm working on.  The only slightly different subject matter has been Pop Art for me.  I've always liked it (some of it, anyway).  Much of it has brash colours and bold outlines, I already do that so I'm part way there.  Not everyone's cup of tea I suppose, but then not one of us is 'everyone.' So my first painting in 2020 was a POP ART pic.  This often includes lettering, my hands aren't steady enough for that. Here it is... ...I wasn't happy with the text, and decided to use photoshop for this in future.  A multi-media effort.
Have done a few sketches since Hogmanay but this is my first completed pastel painting. I started it last year. This medium is new to me but love them so my hope is to learn how to master them. Also be more productive  over the coming year painting and sketching!
Well done Gillian.  The colours look evocative of Scotland to me.  Is this near Kirkwall?  Glad you are enjoying your pastels.  They are so portable.
Well done Gillian.  The colours look evocative of Scotland to me.  Is this near Kirkwall?  Glad you are enjoying your pastels.  They are so portable.
Linda Wilson on 05/01/2022 08:55:22
Stromness is the second main town about 18 miles from Kirkwall. It is located in the west mainland and Kirkwall is in the East. Stromness is more  like  an old fishing village and a lovely place to live
Barbara Curry on 07/01/2022 17:43:26
Sunflowers near Godshill, on the Isle of Wight, oil on canvas on top of an old painting for extra texture and interest. I'm using techniques such as dripping and frottage to create an image with many "layers". In hopes of holidays, sunshine and happiness in 2022!
Hi Barbara happy 2022 to you as well thank you.   I love sunflowers .  Happy flowers.  You have fat finger like i do…( multiple posts). 
Showing page 1 of 3