Pen and Wash

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 2 of 2
Agree entirely, this is not necessary and only serves to put people off logging in, including me, Alan Owen also made his similar comments clear on the other topic.
A good forum is like a pub table - the topic wanders and changes. Only die-hard ForumNazis demand it stays on a strict and train-track topic. -- And I'm SURE that if anyone had a "pen and ink" picture or question, it would be posted or asked and the forum discussion would go back to P&I. The pub table comparison is to have a few people ordering the rest to be totally silent unless they have a relevant-to-topic thing to say. Here you go, a crop from a Conan the Barbarian inky of mine (not original, I used the 3" high picture in the Savage Sword of Conan omnibus as a guide)

Edited
by DippyDipper

If I remember rightly this is an art forum and the original subject was "Pen and Wash " . I understand that discussions often wander off their original course but when it comes down to insinuations and playground humour a trying to "shock" those you think are not worth a fig, I honestly dont know why you bother to stay. I really haven't noticed any great contributions to any sort of art discourse D D so what makes you tick? . Most people here are trying very hard to be both polite and fair. Either accept us as we are or soddin well piss off .
I also, like Syd take exception by the reference to 'Nazis', and the inference that we are 'twats' because we have our own viewpoint on certain behaviour appropriate on this ART forum. As Sylvia has said all that I was going to, take notice DD and start to contribute in an intelligent and useful manner or don't bother at all. If I want to read childish and stupid playground tripe I have the option to contribute on Facebook, but I DON'T.. There seems to be a small nucleus of people who trawl through website forums, having no particular interest in the subject and nothing intelligent to say, but who are hell bent on bringing it down to their level, the established members and all other contributers of THIS forum will, I hope, never allow this to happen..

Edited
by alanbickley

Back on topic. I like it when an idea turns out to be different to expectations. I was trying to get a sort-of dead fire with wisps of smoke - the "kicked out fire" that smokes a bit. The inky wash bits in the foreground look OK (better in the full image that this is only about a tenth of) - but the more background wisps turned out to looke like smoke-covered trees... better and unexpected.. serendipitous. (( The bottom bit is a sword and a bent knee ))
And I do sometimes love turning away from the ink-only black and white - washing water over ink can give some lovely suble smoke, mist, sea spray effects. Unfortunately, I FUBARd the boat -- the back end is going one direction, the bow is going a second...
8 tonner...lovely. OK skipper, lets see her go in reverse! D
"The fires on the mountain top told him that the foray into the Chaos Mage's camp had been successful. He stepped forwards and brandished his sword, screaming a taunting cry. "AAAAAHHH ULULULULULULULULLLLL - Come ON, you whoreson dogs of hell!" As the ululation fades into the valley, the Hordes turned away from the mountain top and stared at him... one man against 20 000 of the Horde's finest? Laughter rippled through the massed ranks of chaotic creatures. The warrior took a deep breath and uttered the Words of Power, carried for so, so long now... The thunder clouds rolled in, blanketing the valley in a deep dusky darkness. Suddenly they parted and a huge bright coruscating beam of Eldritch energy lanced down into the Horde mass. Bodies were thrown high; metal armour melted to skin; skin vaporised from bone; flesh melting and running like water; blood boiling and skulls popping. In the space of a few second, 8000 of the Chaos Horde were dead or dying, bodies thrown hundreds of feet into the sky. Laughter turned to screams and moans... these increased in volume as, behind the lone figure, 40 000 of the finest Warriors of Man stepped into view. "AHHHHHHH HOOOOOO AAAAHHHHHH! The earth trembled and shook as 80 000 feet stamped and started to run towards the Horde..." (Small centre section of larger image - the Chaos Mage's camp would be far in the upper left from this section)

Edited
by DippyDipper

when using a dip pen you can sometimes have a misadventure when a blob of ink dribbles from your pen on to your paper I have recovered from this mishap by putting a drop of bleach in a jar ,and a pot of water in another one .Touch your brush into the water then into the bleach, touch the paper where the mark is and then dab with piece of toilet roll ,do this until the mark disappears ,,,do not put your brush into the bleach first or to could damage it
Not a bad tip - but how does the paper respond to the extreme 13 pH of the bleach? We worry about acid free - that's loading it with alkaline. I had a silly accident the other day, opened the ink pit and it had the bubble formed across the opening... I popped it with the first dip of a rigger... and it poped dots all over the nearby paper! I still inked it all and then turned the dots into "V" shapes for birds int he sky (Call me Cheaty MvCheatington!) Edit - it just realised.. it was In that picture I posted above, and you can even see the birdie shapes on the right! Hahah!

Edited
by DippyDipper

Showing page 2 of 2