What were your best Art buys for little money?

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 2 of 2
They need (the sables that is) to be cherished: I have a few - more than I'm entitled to, really, because I'm NOT a good watercolourist - but most of my water media brushes are synthetics.  Alan mentioned Dalon earlier - I've got several of those, and hope they still make them because my Dalon flats still form a perfect edge.   The price of Kolinsky sable now - depending a bit on where you find it - is seriously high; so it should be, because I much prefer the hair to be on the animal; but we needn't feel guilty - the sables we got were off-cuts from the fur industry: and that's an industry which is not in any way what it once was.
I got a load of brushes at the weekend (Pro Art), - one bag of thin ones of various sizes, and one bag of bigger, various brush shapes (about 40 brushes in total).  I’m no connosier (can’t even spelll the word) of brushes, but I’ve used the brand before and liked them.  Plus got a free box of System 3 acrylics 😁
Some years ago, maybe 6-7, I started using water mixable oil paints and having invested in a basic range at normal prices, found that I was able to buy a surprisingly varied selection from that well known online auction site for , frankly peanuts! I had the impression that people had either bought them by mistake thinking they were ‘real oils’ or intentionally tried them and found them not to their taste! The ones I bought were considerably cheaper and either new or very lightly used. 
I got mine from Amazon (much as I wish to stop using it, there's just some things you can find there that you can't get elsewhere). I'm not sure it would make a good backscratcher but I always found using a mahl stick it would slip at the wrong moment. Hooking something over the top is easier for me. I have seen walking sticks used too -but I like the portability of the backscratcher (until I need a walking stick)
Someone I know uses his walking-stick as his Mahl stick - I suppose it works, but I'd have thought it a bit unwieldy.  A retractable back-scratcher?  I get a very itchy back, a reaction to the drugs I'm on: I didn't realize you could get retractable ones, so I shall look out for it: the most effective one I use at the moment was a souvenier someone brought back from the Great Wall of China - good and rough and sharp; it'd make a lousy Mahl stick, though. On the cheap and cheerful front, the watercolourist Charles Evans gets his pencils from either Ikea or Screwfit - the complementary type, not exactly Mars Lumograph: probably we all save money here and there, but - I still want the best I can get.  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ The only unusual thing I use is a retractable backscratcher as a mahl stick - you can hook it over the top of the easel or painting and change the length so it doesnt  get too in the way. :-)
Gary Martin on 17/07/2023 16:28:45
Robert Jones, NAPA on 17/07/2023 18:59:45
I feed the birds and a pond full of fish.  A lot of their food comes in plastic tubs with lids .   The lids are excellent for palettes and the tubs for storing tubes of paint and other arty stuff....cost...de nada .
Absolutely, cherishing your brushes, whether synthetic or natural, is vital. It's impressive how Dalon brushes maintain their quality over time. I wholeheartedly recommend Trice Loans to anyone in need of financial assistance. My experience with them has been exceptional, and I want to share why I believe they are the ideal choice for loans. Trice Loans stands out for their exceptional customer service. They provide clear and transparent information about interest rates, fees, and repayment terms, ensuring there are no hidden surprises along the way. This dedication to assisting customers in making smart choices is a testament to their professionalism and integrity.

Edited
by William Johnson

Showing page 2 of 2