To give you a laugh - or a groan

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Recently visited the Pompidou Centre, Malaga. Some interesting stuff but I didn’t use the audio guide, preferring just to read the info beside the piece of work. I did however spot the art b****cks….make of it what you will.
What did you think of the piece of work?
Oy gevalt - how to repel people from art criticism in one easy lesson.  Remembering my uncle Ernie, in the Southampton Art Gallery: "It's just WORDS!  It doesn't MEAN anything!" And God knows, it didn't.   This reads as if it were written in Serbo-Croat, translated into Korean, back-translated into Finnish, re-translated into Polish, thus onwards into French, and extrapolated into English, via the Museum of Modern Art in Boston.  Apart from that, well - what could be clearer or more pellucid? 
You gave me a laugh with that Robert! Sandra, I should have said “ preferring to read the info beside each piece of work”. Some pieces were interesting and gave food for thought, others - coloured rope strewn around the floor….well. I wondered if they would have noticed if I’d kicked the rope in a different direction. One wasn’t invited to interact, so I didn’t.
That’s textbook ‘arty b….’ 😂
You gave me a laugh with that Robert! Sandra, I should have said “ preferring to read the info beside each piece of work”. Some pieces were interesting and gave food for thought, others - coloured rope strewn around the floor….well. I wondered if they would have noticed if I’d kicked the rope in a different direction. One wasn’t invited to interact, so I didn’t.
Marjorie Firth on 10/03/2024 22:53:58
Marjorie, I should have asked what on earth piece of work was described in such arty b****** terms! Certainly nothing that I can remotely imagine! Guess it was some sort of installation? Agree with you over the coloured rope, I bet they wouldn't have noticed as long as no-one saw you. I'd have been tempted.
The title. plus part of a sentence  'and experience digital and phygital environments . . . now and in the future' Alter the syntax slightly and it just about sums up the rest of the gobbledygook. I too would have been tempted, Marjorie.
🤣🤣 What a load of drivel.
There is a website on the exhibition. Safari can translate it into English, but it still sounds like rubbish! Here’s the image from the website https://centrepompidou-malaga.eu/exposicion/fosiles-futuros-2/

Edited
by Frank Bingley

The text in Spanish is broadly reasonable(-ish), so I suspect at least something has been lost in translation. Don't forget that many Romance-derived words which are commonplace (naturally) in Spanish tend to sound high-falutin' in English (relative to words of a Germanic origin). An example is the word 'contemplate' in the English text. This is a mis-translation of the Spanish 'contemplar', which in this context would be better written as 'look at', which already sounds less arty.

Edited
by Martin Cooke

Mary Anning re-wrote the history of fossils without saying a word, She just dug them up with a spade on the Dorset coast around Lyme Regis. . Fascinating woman. 
The wording in itself is art. A piece of diabolical flurry. I do like the actual artwork though.

Edited
by Denise Cat