Negative Painting.

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
I've done some negative painting before but not for some time. Today, I decided to work in watercolour. My inspiration, Chinese Lanterns that I took photos of outside the B and M store a few months ago. The sunlight was shining on them and the colours were so vibrant, I took a few minutes taking photos as people walked in and out of the store, they obviously thought I was mad. I was moving the plants about, repositioning them, getting them at a nice angle. Anyway, today, I did a drawing from the photos and started a painting. I had forgotten that negative painting can sometimes be time consuming as it is multiple layers and drying time. Negative painting is enjoyable, here is what I've done so far and I hope to finish it tomorrow.
oh wow, amazing Denise, love the colors, how many "washes" do you paint? Actually i'm also painting my next negative painting (fishes), with 6 Washes, my paper say to me: enough now!!

Edited
by Tanja Gerster

Beautiful colours Denise, I love doing negative paintings. 
Thanks Tanja and Paul. Tanja it's my second wash on the background going on. Yes, I'll probably use up to six in some areas of the background and on the lanterns themselves, I'll just keep going till I'm happy with depth of colour.
Good Morning, thank you Denise for your answer, yes, i think it depends of many things.....I have now ruined my picture by using too many layers... it really depends on the quality of the paper, quality of the colors and yes, at some point enough is enough and you have to stop...
Yes Tanja, the paper is important and I never use anything less than 140lb/ 300g. I use Winsor & Newton or Fabriano.
Tanja, I thought you might be interested in how I'm progressing. On some parts of the background, four washes have gone on and as I have said, I decided to leave part of the background light, with just two washes. I might go in with further washes on the dark parts of the background. I'm undecided until I see it progressing. The lanterns have had a second wash and the leaves at the bottom have had four washes in parts and I've kept bits of the first wash that went down. So I'll carry on with the leaves, then go back to the lanterns. Once completed, I'll take a look at the background again and go in with any details I may need to add. That's how I normally work on this type of painting. I'm not sure if it's the right way but it's the way I do it.
ah, yes, that interests me a lot, thank you Denise for showing me and explaining it!

Edited
by Tanja Gerster