Mounting and framing artwork

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Hi if anyone can help, I have a 50cm width  by 70cm hieght art paper I am going to paint, but want to mount and frame it. It is a portrait of 2 people, and not sure how to work out what size mount to put on it. Then the frame, but its the mount I am trying to find, and wasnt sure if I simply buy a 70x50cm mount?
For an artwork of those dimensions, you need around a 75mm (3in) mount. You can’t buy an off-the-shelf mount at that size, so your picture framer will advise you further. Alternatively, get a 70 x 50cm external size mount cut and work within those dimensions.
A reply would be appreciated!
if its any help, this is how I work out my sizes when I am framing. Sheet from Allaboutframing.co.uk
Unfortunately, the author of the post hasn’t replied yet… I’m not expecting him to at this late stage either, but I may be proved wrong.
Never mind, I thought I would share incase anyone else was wondering how to work it out.
Always good information for others - thanks Alan…