Hi all

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
I’ve joined an art group. They have a live model this Saturday… eleven quid to go.  I ask a few questions about it… how long in one position, what facilities… etc. They replied, they move after twenty minutes to a completely different position. I class myself as pretty fast at portraits, but twenty minutes? Added to this, I asked about taking photos and they played it down, as if it is a no-no in general, plus they slated Sky art as doing the same thing. Thing is I use photos for all my work. As I’m a worker, seven days mostly, I don’t have time for live painting.  Am I cheating? I feel a tad inferior. In my defence I draw with a brush, never flesh it out with a pencil, so I know live painting would suit me as much as anything else. I would also feel a bit under pressure as they asked about my artist past, and I informed them I won an award last year. All eyes on me then! Is I worth me going with all this in mind, especially with the twenty minute model shift
Obviously nobody is going to complete a full blown figure drawing or even a portrait in 20 minutes, certainly not to any degree of finish - so it’s more of an exercise in rapid sketching. These can be very rewarding Martin, I wouldn’t be too discouraged. So, we’re looking at charcoal, pastel, brush and ink with perhaps wash, even a rapid oil sketch at a push, and so on… Sounds great to me, and you’ve already got the experience of drawing with a brush. Forget about all eyes being on you… there could, and probably will be others with similar experience, or more … but does that really matter anyway? No, it doesn’t! As for using iPads and the like, I totally agree with their statement here. You’ve got a live model sitting in front of you, why on earth would anyone want to work from a digital image… makes no sense and Sky Arts should have put a stop to this years ago! Let us know how you get on…
Thanks Alan. Think I’ll go. Maybe post my result on here. Don’t hold your breath for anything divine. 

Edited
by Martin Shaw

Gonna do a rapid oil like you say, then hone. Can’t wait now.
That’s probably the way I would go also… obviously the Zorn palette comes to mind - I would have my four colours laid out on my palette well before the sitting, with a good range of shades/colour mixes all ready to go! Exciting stuff indeed!
Zorn pallets. Gotta look that up. Superb Alan. Luv ya, bud
Zorn, yes! Gonna set my pallet up before I go
Best of luck Martin. Sounds like an excellent learning opportunity so I wouldn't be to worried about the expectations of the group. I'm not use to rapid sketching but recently enjoyed a free zoom session put on by the National Gallery. 20 minute poses. A lot to think about in 20 mins. You have nothing to loose and everything to gain from an experience like this.