Help with re-framing?

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Hi forum, I'm not sure if this is the right outlet or forum. I'm trying to get some advice regarding having a picture re-framed and looked after. We've recently taken in this picture, It was my partner's late mother's. I'd like to bring it to life so to speak without taking away from its original character. Is such a thing possible?  I've noticed a small tear on the bottom right but doesn't look to be going into the image just yet and the picture seems to be sagging/bunching up. We're based in York but traveling within reason is ok to drop it somewhere. Happy for suggestions, images attached for reference, hope can get some guidance at least as I am out of my depth with this.  From the small print I can make out Frost & Reed Sept 14 1903 Berlin Stiefbold & Co and the copyright information by Frost & Reed along the bottom. Many thanks 😊
Any competent framer should be able to do this for you: you could even do it yourself, but because the picture has buckled a bit (damp?) it needs an expert's care. The name is interesting - of course, you realize it's a print; there was a Sir Frank Dicksee - I'm not familiar with Herbert, but will do a quick Google.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herbert_Dicksee And there we are: there were a lot of Dicksees, paint seems to have run in the family's veins.   PS - there were plenty of art shops and framers in York when I was last up there - several in Ripon, too; this was a few years ago, mind.   See if you can find one who specializes in restoring old prints; take a look at antique shops and photography shops too - if they don't do this themselves, they might be able to recommend someone. 

Edited
by Robert Jones, NAPA

Hi Robert, Thank you for the reply. Yes sadly it has become a bit damp. My partner really liked it so it's no problem being a print (wasn't looking at the value) it's sentimental but would be much better on a wall as opposed to resting against a bookcase. I've found a couple framers now in York so going to see about having them do it. I couldn't make out the name at all, I thought was Helen Dirose 🤣 Thank you!
Probably the safest and more permanent solution to get rid of the ‘cockling’ problem would be to have it dry mounted! Put in simple terms, a sheet of special dry adhesive paper (it’s wafer thin like tissue paper), is applied to the back of the painting, or print in this case, and put under a heated press onto a backboard, for a short designated period. That will probably do the trick here, plus it needs a nice new bevelled mount, I would suggest Antique White Ingres!

Edited
by Alan Bickley

Yes, agree - a really good framer, and there ARE plenty of them in the OP's area, will sort this out for him.  They'll be able to repair the tear as well, with archival and non intrusive materials.  It would so benefit from a new, clean mount: up to a point, people are right to fear that a brand new mount will remove the period character of a painting or print, but - have a think about that.  When your painting or print was fresh off the easel or press, it would have been well-framed, in a new mount; "period" doesn't have to mean dirt, foxing, discolouration.  An appropriate mount can give your old pictures new life: you'll see them as they were intended to be seen.   I wouldn't necessarily re-mount and re-frame an old print or watercolour in good condition, if a bit aged and mellowed - but if it's NOT in good condition, there's no virtue in hanging on to the cracked frame and mouldy mount (especially since mould can kill a picture).
No, he's indeed a Dicksee - and his work has value, including some of the prints.  You'll see from the Wikipedia entry that he was VERY fond of dogs (good lad, so are all the best of us!) and he painted and drew them with great delicacy.  And did you notice who the model was he so often used for his winsome young ladies?   Your print is a very nice thing to have, and deserves a bit of devoted. curatorial care, quite apart from its sentimental vasue in your family.   Hi Robert, Thank you for the reply. Yes sadly it has become a bit damp. My partner really liked it so it's no problem being a print (wasn't looking at the value) it's sentimental but would be much better on a wall as opposed to resting against a bookcase. I've found a couple framers now in York so going to see about having them do it. I couldn't make out the name at all, I thought was Helen Dirose 🤣 Thank you!
Liam Pearson on 11/07/2023 15:31:44