Have you used Yupo ?

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Just wondering if any one else on the forum has ever used  Yupo paper ? I was given a piece several years ago and it sat in a drawer...I then had a go . It's very smooth and shiny  not unlike photographic paper the glossy type. I started experimenting on it with water  colours and really enjoyed it . I discovered I could spray it with a water spray and just let colour run around and merge...I could paint " normally" and somehow if added depth. The real fun one is to paint an all over cover  let it dry then work into it eith clean water or use cotton buds to take out colour, as I'm my snow drops. Then work on top once more adding detail with a pen or fine brush.. I have done a few demos with local art groups and the bit they like is when I tell then if they don't like it ,they can just wash it off .. It is also fixable with a gentle spray. I enjoy it.
An Australian artist I used to know on another site named Tammy Crawford used to use it a lot with alcohol ink, she got some wonderful effects. I believe it is very difficult to control.    Your snowdrops are lovely Sylvia x 

Edited
by Collette Hughes

I'm not fond of slip-slidey surfaces, so haven't tried it - waiting for a free sample....
Same here to be honest. I love the thick quality and texture of the handmade rag papers, so I’m unlikely to be buying any.., That’s not taking anything away from Sylvia’s rather lovely interpretation of snowdrops, she handles the paper so well, and achieves a certain vibrancy in her work!
Sylvia, I bought some years ago but haven’t really got on with it - it’s like painting on plastic, the paint is difficult to control and takes ages to dry.  On the plus side, the colours stay nice and bright and, as you’ve said, provided you’ve not used staining colours, the paint can be wiped off easily either to start again or for bringing back white areas.  It works really well for you, you’ve produced some lovely paintings with it, particularly with the addition of the pen work. This is the only (watercolour) painting I managed to finish using it.  I’ve tried a few times since, but have given up, at least for now.

Edited
by Jenny Harris

He's sweet Jenny....my reactions just the same.  Though I did find covering it all in one base colour and using clean brushes and cotton buds worked. 
I did a class just over a year ago with Yupo and alcohol inks, great fun to use, but lethal if you have any health/breathing concerns ( the inks not the paper obviously!), so I haven’t used the inks since. I had put the paper away and more or less forgot about it. Maybe it’s an idea for now, must dig it out.

Edited
by Tessa Gwynne

Oh I like both of those Tessa, try watercolour.  I didn't know there were adverse effects from inks.
Thanks Sylvia. I’m sure I did try watercolour at the time, without much success, but might try again.
Go for it Tessa...
Lovely colours Tessa, nice abstract effect, and delightful squirrel Jenny. Sylvia I really love your snowdrops, just something a bit different about them that you've managed to get using yupo. I've been to a workshop for using yupo with inks but it didn't appeal to me to carry on.
I did do one another which I’d forgotten about, but wasn’t trying to paint anything in particular, just playing around to see what effects you could get - this is watercolour with a little white acrylic ink.  I’ve not used alcohol inks, but imagine that, like acrylic inks, they’re permanent when dry, whereas watercolour you can keep adding and wiping off - in fact, if you’re a fiddler like me, you could carry on working on one painting for ever!  I like I the effect you get with the alcohol inks, though - Tessa, that first one of yours is lovely, especially the colours.

Edited
by Jenny Harris