Artist that I love

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Over the last few weeks, I discovered John Salminen. What a fabulous watercolour artist. I know he’s one among many, but he’s grabbed my attention right now. I’ve been cruising the interweb and have come up with a personal top five. They are: John Salminen Graham Berry Diana Boanas Thomas Schaller Iain Stewart  There are a few others, but I just wondered what other people thought.

Edited
by Paul Elliott

All great artists - my favourites, although they are not dissimiliar, are Salminen, Schaller and Stewart - there must be something about the letter S.
All great artists - my favourites, although they are not dissimiliar, are Salminen, Schaller and Stewart - there must be something about the letter S.
The internet is a great place to stumble across artists.  Apart from Diana, I had to look your list up...all very fine artists. I couldn't possibly produce a list of five, I'd almost immediately want to amend it.  Illustrators tend to get my attention, although I can admire a painting or drawing in any kind of art. At the moment Anton Lomaev's wonderful book illustrations, Jean Claud Claeys noir graphic novel art, and Bill Carman's surrealistic illustrations are intriguing me.  But the list is endless, and there will be new artists to find (new to me, anyway).  There are just so many wonderful artists out there waiting to be discovered.
Wow, Paul what an inspirational group. I’m embarrassed to say that, like Lew, the only one I had heard of was our own Diana whose work is exceptional. I probably have missed them mainly because they are watercolour artists but there is something valuable to be gained from looking at all art work. I have looked briefly this morning at some of their work, much of which is so complex, and will look more later. Thanks for the intro.
I must also confess to never having heard of any of those names apart from Diana! She produces some excellent watercolours but there are so many out there it’s impossible for me to single any particular one out - perhaps with the exception of Rupert Cordeaux who also posts his work on the gallery.
Yes, they are mainly watercolour artists because that’s what I like looking at at the moment. Not that I don’t appreciate artists who use other mediums, but I feel a bit more affinity with watercolour right now, especially these artists. I particularly like art that gets me asking, “How on earth did they do that?”.  When I say right now, my list is always changing, so next week it will problem be different. I really put his topic on the forum because I wanted to see what other people thought and get some suggestions on other artists work to look at. I haven’t been disappointed and will be looking all the names mentioned, so thanks everyone.
I am currently working on a series of pen abstracts and very much influenced by the work of Kandinsky and contemporary artists Jonathon Stephen Harris and Michael King (Black Swan Images). 

Edited
by Michael Edwards

Thanks very  much for pointing out these artists - it's always good to see work you've not encountered before.  Diana B and Thomas Schaller were known to me, but not the others.  
Thanks Michael and Robert. I’ve realised from these posts that I’ve concentrated on watercolour artists, which is making me look at some of the other media I like for favourites.