What do we see

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Since I started posting and viewing art on the gallery, it has been done virtually all on my I.Pad, but then quite stupidly I supose, I realised, when I am looking at the postings of other peoples and my own art work on my main desk top computer, the enhancement shows you a totally different image to the one I made comments on previously, not always for the better. Is the enlargement a good thing? I suppose we should be seeing the image in all its glory so to speak?
The full-size monitor screen brings the image closer to its real size so it's best to enjoy the bigger view, warts and all.
Agreed: 9 times out of 10, the new look of the site works brilliantly. For some smaller pictures, maybe not so much - but the advantages of the format enormously outweigh the disadvantages, I believe: I had one picture which wasn't perhaps exactly flattered - against around 150 others (I think) which aren't flattered either but are displayed to their best advantage; than which one can hardly ask more.
I certainly prefer the enhanced quality of the images on the new site (it's about the only real improvement that I can think of!). I often find - not just on this site - that a small version of a painting looks interesting, only to be disappointed when I see an enlarged version. Certainly, with my own efforts, a preparatory study or tonal sketch often looks quite good, but trying to take it further results in a let-down. I reckon this is mainly due to my limited technical skills inadequately matching my vision. I suppose this might also be the case with some gallery postings. However, I think there are also instances where I just don't like aspects of the style, however well executed, which are only really apparent in a higher-resolution image. Either way, I reckon that closer approximation to the "real thing" must only be of benefit to the viewer.