Book recommendation

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 1 of 2
Forgive me if this book has been mentioned before but my latest Amazon purchase is:- Techniques in Painting: Learning from the Dutch Masters written by Brigid Marlin  priced at £16.99.   It's a marvellous step by step guide, really interesting and so much to learn (portraiture and landscapes).   Can very much recommend it.
Just had a look at this on Amazon, Heather, it looks a gem of a book, and one I will consider for future reading. Not long ago 'the Oil Painter's Color Handbook, by Todd M. Casey was recommended. It's a doorstop of a book, and one I am enjoying and learning from. Within the book you recommend, which is something I like, is how to progress with the way of the masters, and also using modern medium and in a contemporary way. This is how I read the write-up on the book. An excellent recommendation.

Edited
by Carol Jones

This is the book Heather has mentioned.yes it is a very good guide.
It might be one I'll have to get Heather.
Ooh... ...But there's no room on my "how-to" bookshelf. :-)
I've just taken delivery of two new (to me) bookcases: they're already full, but at least I don't now trip over piles of books on the floor.  I'm not sure that my art books aren't really mostly about procrastination - something to read, rather than getting on with painting; because learning comes more from practice than theory - though the theory helps you to avoid making ghastly mistakes, especially with oil paint.  The book I recommend is Virgil Elliott's Traditional Oil Painting, published in the USA by Echo Point Books.  Its only drawback is that Virgil is very much an enthusiast for lead white, and we know how hard that is to obtain in Europe (I won't run on about that again).  Even so, it's the book of which I've taken most notice, whereas others are as much entertainment and inspiration as information.   Now here, keen POL-ers, is where you come in useful.  My father had a book of considerable dimensions on the origins of pigments - I hoped to inherit it, but my mother seems to have parted with it in one of her fits of absent-mindedness - at a guess, it was published in the 1990s, and if you happen to have a clue about its title, I should be most grateful: even if it does mean I shall be shelling out my hard-earned pension... 
I doubt either of these are your book, Robert.  But I have two which I enjoyed very much: Colour, Making and Using Dyes and Pigments. Delamere & Guinea. Its one of those dinky pocket sized books published by Thames & Hudson, which cover a multitude of topics, from the weather, to photography to the crusades etc etc. The Secret Lives of Colour. Cassia St Clair. Published by John Murray. This one is mostly the history, the former slips into history as well as technicalities. Both are great to dip into now and then.  And I've just realised I've yet to read the blues, greens and browns in the St Clair book. ps The St Clair has a 10 page bibliography which may include your book.

Edited
by Norrette Moore

Perhaps this? https://www.nga.gov/research/publications/pdf-library/artists-pigments-vol-1.html 2 volumes pub 1986  a pdf is available. Or this.  Referenced by St Clair and also by the above: https://archive.org/details/artistspigmentsc0000harl/mode/1up Artists Pigments 1600-1835 RD Harley Out of print I'm afraid.

Edited
by Norrette Moore

The book Robert refers to - Traditional Oil Painting - I bought on the back of his recommendation and it's definitely a good one too.
Thanks Norette, I shall investigate these; a lot of out of print books are still available - one has to search for them; and prices can be a little on the cruel side, but then, if you want it, you want it.... 
I’ve found Alibris.com to be an excellent source for out of publication and rare books!
Abe books is another - though I'll certainly veer in the direction of Alibris.  I've found a treasure trove of out of print novels on Abe, notably the writings of Ernest Raymond, who certainly COULD write sentimentally, but - usually didn't: do search him out, he had a perfect ear for dialogue.  
Showing page 1 of 2