best varnishes

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 2 of 2
Thanks everyone.   I rarely paint in acrylics now as I enjoy oils much more.  I've tried using varnishes with a brush but no matter what I do I can always see lines.  But reading this I will get bigger better brushes I think.   Generally, I have tended to use spray W&N varnishes.  Their satin is rather too matt so I go over once dry with a v light layer of gloss which seems to work.  I'm just not to so keen on using aerosols for all the reasons stated.  Tricky to get it right!    Great story Dixie too. 
I have got some aerosol varnish, but I don’t particularly like it either, you certainly need to spray it outside for sure. It’s hazardous stuff to breathe in, not to mention the environmental issues associated with aerosol cans! Jackson’s sell great varnish brushes, they’re designed specifically for varnishing - I’ve got a selection of sizes depending on the size of canvas I’m varnishing…

Edited
by Alan Bickley

Thanks Alan, I will purchase!
Sylvia - yes, the limitations of language, by 'glazed' I meant 'under glass'.  
Showing page 2 of 2