The pros and cons of an exhibition

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Hello all, I've got a strong idea for an exhibition (well, quite a few - ideas are plentiful, ability sadly lacking). It would be in oils mainly. There's an idea for 20 or so paintings, some big and bold, some not so. Mainly sports. I'm not necessarily talking about gallery space, potentially using a sports club room. Looking to hear of experiences, funding issues, transport, the whole gamut. And I'm not good in the spotlight, so I wouldn't really want to be involved apart from behind the scenes. Thanks in advance, Mark
Funding - traditional sponsorship or Crowdfunding? The former means you get the costs covered and the sponsors' names get mentioned in ads and publicity/ programmes. The latter means you might not get your costs covered, but you might get a wider, more interesting - and interested, audience on opening night.
Thanks Alan, funding is an issue that I'm looking at, or rather considering, but not knowing the full costs of exhibiting is an issue. Thank you. Pat, I've a venue in mind, it's just moving the project forward.
I've had a few exhibitions over the years, normally in a room attached to a library which is in a thriving market village. Generally speaking, I have always gone for a joint venture with another artist, this way you can man the venue at all times. From my experience, the public do like, or even expect to meet and talk to one or more of the artists. Advertising in the media is expensive and for a small exhibitor this will not be cost effective. You can use some large A-boards outside the venue and handing out flyers does have a small impact on getting the punters in to view. You can attach posters to traffic signs etc, but this is illegal practice and not advised. By joining with another artist you are obviously halving all the costs. 20 paintings is not a lot in fairness, the venues that I have used generally accommodate in excess of 100 average size paintings, that includes using partitions throughout the room. I've always had reasonable success and found the experience enjoyable but hard work. Good luck, do give it a go and enjoy it.
Thanks Sylvia and Alan, I'd be looking at a relatively big sports club, piggybacking on their pull and social media presence, with paintings of more than just a niche value but certainly filling that niche. In fairness, there's probably more than 20 paintings in this particular subject, of different sizes, A catalogue I hadn't considered. Framing is the big cost I hadn't considered. I'm looking at putting in a bid to the Arts Council for funds because hopefully, as well as 'pretty pictures', there will be a message to a chunk of the work. It's all very daunting, and, despite being a journalist and dealing with people for more than 30 years, I'm not too confident when the spotlight is on me. Lots of food for thought. Thanks again, Mark
Make sure to gear up properly. I've already organised a couple of events and almost always there was an issue with not having enough exhibition stands or stuff like that. We used something like these https://www.discountdisplays.co.uk/html/indoor-displays.html , make sure the size is right though ; )
Yes - very much agree with Always Blue; and the best way to ensure you've got everything sorted in a joint exhibition is for one of you - club secretary, for instance - to take responsibility and for that person/those persons to be trusted by everyone else: otherwise recrimination ensues. If it's a single person exhibition, of course - that's your own job; and you'd better be good at it.