Public Liability Insurance

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 2 of 2
It'd be interesting to follow this through - I    haven't had to do it, and to be honest, I just wouldn't do it at all if I were required to = it just can't be worth it.
I have two paintings hanging in our local community hub which is owned and run by our parish council, so would appear to be a similar set up. If they don’t sell they are changed annually, or I can swap earlier if I want to. I have been doing this for about 6 years or more, and PLI has never been mentioned.
The only time I’ve had to get insurance/public liability is when I did art trails and local art fairs. I don’t do them now as I find a one day show stressful.  It would be interesting to know if those artists who show their work in their own homes would need one! 
In the arts collective I'm part of, any artist showing in their own home/studio does need PLI (presumably because a visitor might fall down the stairs or similar....), but if the artist shows in a gallery then it is the gallery that has to have PLI, not the artist. Having said that, the costs of showing in a gallery are paid by the artist(s), and this presumably covers PLI as well as energy costs etc.
In this area, we have a Surrey Artists Open Studios event each year where artists open their homes (or studios if they’re lucky enough to have one!) to visitors over a three week period.  A condition of taking part is that the artists must have their own Public Liability Insurance, and they recommend using a-n.  I usually exhibit with local art clubs who have their own insurance, but when I’ve taken wall space at our local theatre (no club involvement) there was no mention of PLI.

Edited
by Jenny Harris

Yes, I can understand the need if you’re running an event or if you own the premises where people might get injured; my suspicion is that someone has just copied and pasted the T&Cs for a workshop and applied them to the exhibition where they’re really not relevant (either that or they don’t have PLI themselves, which would be concerning!  Maybe I’ll go down and trip over a chair and see what happens…)
They have capitulated! Thanks all for the advice which gave me the ability to question them. 

Edited
by Emma Price

Well done! Persistence pays.  
Well done for persevering Emma, and good to know that common sense has prevailed! Interesting subject though and something to be aware of.
Thanks all for the advice, I appreciate it.
I've seen this request before - most exhibition organisers mention it in the small print, but it is usually a recommendation rather than being mandatory.    I exhibit with Ludlow Art Society at St Laurence's Church, who recommend artists take out their own PLI - probably because there's a complicated sharing of liabilities between the church and LAS which leaves a grey area.  I expect your library and the exhibition organisers are in a similar position, but they will probably also point out in the small print that they can't accept liability for loss or damage.   I might consider it if I were a well known professional artist exhibiting work valued at over £1,000 per piece (in which case my business insurance would already include PLI) - but as this is never likely to be the case I just accept the very small risk my painting might be lost, damaged .... or fall on someone's foot!  
Showing page 2 of 2