Why I have a problem ?

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
The nude as an object of contemplation holds little of interest for me. I prefer the portrait. where human character  is explored and expressed. The nude figure had its finest hour in renaissance narrative painting where the figures were gods and goddesses. The techniques developed by the great figurative narrative painters are still applicable to portraiture.
So disagree Joshita...pretty name.   As an exercise in observation and improving drawing skills the human figure is excellent.   I do agree that some of the nudes posted on the gallery are not only salacious and badly drawn and in my eyes offensive ..  I have been drawing life models for many years and as I stated above it’s a great observational skill.   Maybe you should try it .
Excellent sketch Sylvia, and I do so agree with your comments, particularly regarding some of the work posted on here, copied from magazines I suspect, one person in particular comes to mind. Not all of course! There is some good stuff also. Life drawing is the most, or certainly one of the most important disciplines, I’ve spent many hundreds of hours studying and drawing the human figure in my college years, absolutely invaluable!
I'm also fully in agreement with your response, Sylvia. I would like to get some really good figure drawing lessons/practice as I see it improving my scope of portraiture towards half and full length figures. Would also say that it is vital in understanding anatomy and balance. Oddly, though, it is the 'less than artistic' stuff that tends to put me off doing life classes.
Totally agree about the motivation behind some drawings I've seen on the Gallery. Perhaps not by ex-art college students? There are on Youtube some very serious life drawing classes, with timed poses. A flat screen may help "beginners", and I know one student who has benefitted from it. Didn't do a lot for me. I do think Life Drawing the ultimate challenge, the form, the proportions, the potential for expression. I've never thought of it as an end in itself, but rather an experience which can inform and improve all of one's work.
Ron_ if this link opens its a good start to Life drawing.   Though  sitting in front of a real model is preferable .  Go to your local library and see if there are any groups on the go , I started a LD group over thirty years ago and it’s still going strong ,though I don’t get to it very frequently . That is held in a room in the library it’s untutored so people just pay £7.00 for  three hours , plus a cuppa.  There are groups all over the place just hunt them out ,you would probably prefer a tutored one to begin with. Whatever you do...enjoy.  https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=4&ved=2ahUKEwjlrcLfkLrlAhWSN8AKHYkKD7AQFjADegQIBRAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fonairvideo.com%2F&usg=AOvVaw0Z3H8dsRc4m_ZIJG2Wqipy
Any "life" study is very valuable, be it life drawing, portraiture, still life, en plein air. We've said it before, making decisions about 3 D subjects in order to present them in 2 D requires a lot of problem solving - vastly different from copying a photo, where the decisions have already been made. There are some obvious examples of this on the Gallery at the moment. Even if you can't always manage it, every now and then it's worthwhile to have a go - sometimes it's frustrating, sometimes it gives you a real buzz.
Totally agree about the motivation behind some drawings I've seen on the Gallery. Perhaps not by ex-art college students? There are on Youtube some very serious life drawing classes, with timed poses. A flat screen may help "beginners", and I know one student who has benefitted from it. Didn't do a lot for me. I do think Life Drawing the ultimate challenge, the form, the proportions, the potential for expression. I've never thought of it as an end in itself, but rather an experience which can inform and improve all of one's work.
Ian Gordon Craig on 26/10/2019 13:42:03
My local life drawing class happens whilst I'm working and slams the doors during School holidays to prevent anybody getting n when it would be most useful. I'm sure I've benefited from the video stuff on Youtube - Croquis Cafe is now over on Vimeo btw
The truth is, most of us do not have access to a life model.  Some of us are quite happy with that state of affairs.  I have nothing against a well drawn/painted nude, but I have to agree some of the recent postings (post 'for sale') owe more to salacious intent than to art.
Sylvia, thanks for the pointer. I haven’t come across that type of resource before but will take a look.