Sketchbook recommendations please

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 2 of 2
Always a good idea if you have one locally - you’ll find the Stillman & Birn Delta, or any of their other range have great quality paper! Probably my favourite for plein air mixed media sketches.
That's a Moleskine, and a Stillman & Birn on my list of papers to get next, then.  I've used dozens of brands and sub-divisions of the same brand in my time: anyone remember those Rowney sketch pads, that came with red, blue, or grey covers in a sort of bobbly, almost knitted effect?  I hated those covers - horrible greyish red or blue, and the grey made my heart sink before I'd so much as grabbed a pencil.  Don't think they make them any more: the paper was fine, but the covers were just depressing.  (There was a green one as well: I just couldn't face buying that one!) Interesting to look at the sketches in this thread, one of Sylvia's, one of Alan's - totally different in every way, both beautifully done and full of information for a larger painting: that, I suppose, is the magic of art, demonstrated by the contrast between just two sketches. (And not a digital stroke in sight....)
Jackson’s advertise the Stillman and Birn delta ivory in loose sheets but they have been out of stock for a long time, I have my name down for an in stock notification…..it’s gorgeous paper to work on. This is in the delta Ivory sketchbook…..
Helen, if you have a Hobbycraft near you, they stock Seawhite sketchbooks. I spotted them yesterday. 
Thanks Andrew - there’s a Hobbycraft in Nottingham (30 miles away), and I visit Nottingham once a fortnight, so will pop in.
Thanks Fiona, looks like I am going to get more than one type / brand.  I’ve not really sketched much for the last (ahem) 20 or so years, (shame on me), apart from the odd doodle in a notebook. But since joining my local art group this year, I’ve sketched more in the last 6 months than the last two decades, so am keen to keep the enthusiasm going by taking some bits and pieces on holiday. Boosted also by POL’s product testing for their online shop… I was sent some water soluble pencils to review and really enjoyed playing with them, so they’ll be in my suitcase for sure 😀. And the recent forum topic about pens made me spend some money too….

Edited
by Helen Martell

Thanks Andrew - there’s a Hobbycraft in Nottingham (30 miles away), and I visit Nottingham once a fortnight, so will pop in.
Helen Martell on 05/10/2023 19:34:48
Another vote for Seawhite, especially their travel journals - if you download the new Hobbycraft app, you get a £5 voucher to spend in-store or online - I did just that this week and was delighted to splurge on some Winsor & Newton watercolours priced 3 for 2 (the Professional and Cotman ranges, tubes and pans are all included). You also get money off vouchers regularly when you spend there. I'm lucky to be within driving distance of a really lovely branch next door to Lidl so I can sneak in after doing the weekly shop! I've also got an Etchr sketchbook waiting in the wings (don't want to ruin it with beginner daubs yet) but it might be one to add to your list to check out because they seem to be high quality and very popular.
Thanks for the hobby craft tip, Lisbeth. I’ll look into it 😀
By the time you've looked into all that, you won't have enough time left to draw anything ...  In truth - most sketchbooks have something to offer, however varied they be; there's a lot of good quality paper out there, the trick is to find the one which ideally suits you: I haven't quite got there, but I'm narrowing down the field!   How about - just to add to the vast number of suggestions - a The Langton watercolour pad?  If you get the Not or Cold pressed or even Hotpressed surface, you can draw on it - the Rough tends to disrupt line work a bit; plus, you can use (obviously) watercolour, but also pastel, ink, carbon and charcoal pencils, oil pastel, acrylic, gouache - hardly any limit. 
I’ll look into the Langton pad too, when I next get the chance to visit an art shop.  I was in Nottingham today (nearest large city), but didn’t have time after gardening. Was expecting grand-daughter number 4 this afternoon (birth of), but she’s been delayed until tomorrow! As a bonus though, I found a hardly used Moleskin sketchbook in a cupboard at home!! I had a hankering for zentangles a while ago, so that’s what graces the few pages I scrawled on back then.
Hi, For some really nice paper (expensive though) Two Rivers  https://www.tworiverspaper.com/product/companion-pads-hard-backed-spiral-bound-in-white-or-pastel-shades-20-x-25-cm-16-pages/ And from Shepherds https://store.bookbinding.co.uk/store/department/40/Sketchbooks/ For more cost effective options I like both Moleskine and Fabriano Venezia.
Am off on my travels soon…. And I have three sketchbooks to take with me. One moleskin (which I found in a cupboard), a new Seawhite (spiral bound / mixed media), and a square hardback type…  I’m taking some pens (water soluble and permanent) If you were taking watercolour pencils on travels, which colours would you take..? 

Edited
by Helen Martell

Showing page 2 of 2