Removing charcoal mark

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
I have finished a drawing last night in charcoal. I accidently made a finger print mark on it in charcoal. I have tried to rub it out with two types of rubber, but it hasn't disappeared completely.  It is only a practice piece, so it isn't the end of the world, but the owners of the dogs would like the drawing, so it would be nice to get rid of it if possible.  Is there a magic trick for it? I suppose that the oil from the skin transferred it deeper into the paper hence it can't be rubbed out easily. But perhaps there is something that can be done? 
Putty rubber or the white version of blue tack.  .other wise it’s a prelim drawing and I’m sure they understand.  Charcoal is a messy thing to use but it’s all part and parcel...don’t worry.  Another old fashioned  tip just sprung to mind..the precursor to putty rubbers is rolled up white bread kneaded in your fingers .

Edited
by Sylvia Evans

Always a damn' nuisance!  If the putty rubber or white bread don't work, then a plastic rubber might -- but the danger is scrubbing away at the paper and lifting its fibres, making it more noticeable than it is already. You're almost certainly right that the oil in your skin has caused the charcoal particles to sink in to the paper - some people wear surgical gloves while using it, for this reason.  But - I wouldn't worry about it: better ignore it than obsess and let it upset you.  It's quite possible no one else will even notice.  
Thank you, Robert. That's the problem, isn't it... we spot every tiniest mistake/inaccuracy and it's annoying. Lol
Don’t worry about a few marks Dylan, it’s all part of the fun of using charcoal, marks are unavoidable and expected! I can’t envisage the day when I put on a pair of surgical gloves to go out and about sketching, time then to quit art altogether I think.
I use regular Blu-tac - warm it up in your hands first
I agree with Alan - I hate wearing latex gloves at the best of times, and drawing with the wretched things on would be horrible: some of course use them as protection when oil painting: I do sometimes wonder what they think they're protecting themselves against, but - there are those who have allergic reactions.  If I were that frightened of my materials though, I doubt I'd use them.   And yes, Alan G - warm the Blue-tac: but in this case, I doubt that I'd bother.  
Thanks everyone. Much appreciated.  I have decided to leave it be. It is a bit more visible in reality, but hey ho. It isn't a commission (I don't do those) and I did tell them it was just a practice piece. Re gloves, I don't like wearing gloves at the best of times, but I also use my fingers to smudge the charcoal because I like the effect better than doing it with an artificial material. I just have to learn to be more careful with my handling of the paper.  Thanks again, everyone. 
Really nice
What is “Really nice” Laura ?.