Ink drawing with 4 tones - wip

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
The previous drawing I said had 3 tones, as I used black and 2 greys, but have corrected myself with this title as untouched paper is included as a tone (enter smiley/laughing face). (Is this an early sign of advancing years? lol) I'm experimenting more using my grey pens and not just the black I've used for donkeys. Work in progress, as there is an inscription on the lintel that I have yet to add, so I thought I'd pop this in here today for anyone's thoughts, please. Any comment, large or small, is welcome. Thank you. I'm developing my awareness of tone strength and it's impact on attention, so I'm conscious that the shrub on the left is grabbing more attention than I'd like. This particular scene has quite a dark coloured door, but doing this scene as a drawing rather than painting sets me a challenge, as I felt the door shouldn't be too dark. Anyways, see what you think. (PS it's around A4 size)  Thanks in advance folks.
Yes, you’re absolutely correct here Gerry, the paper is a tone, which is why I generally work on a toned paper for this kind of sketch, a muted grey from Strathmore being a particular favourite! Anyway, back to this rather splendid drawing… It’s our old friend tonal values coming to the fore again - the bush is fine tonally, a bit too much detail for me…  You certainly can go much deeper on the door, and also parts of the curved steps, the bit already in shadow…  As a starting point, I’ll leave it there, but if you do what I’ve suggested, all will look balanced and a bit more oomph! A damn good job done anyway!
You certainly can go much deeper on the door, and also parts of the curved steps, the bit already in shadow…  A damn good job done anyway!
Alan Bickley on 13/08/2023 10:58:24
Yes, I think more on the door, and I didn't think about more on the steps, but now that I 'see' that, it would make more balance overall what with the darks in the shrub and the wall top area...I'll give those a go...that's the whole point of experimenting and developing, seeing how it will go....thank you Alan, it's appreciated (and I like the idea of more oomph!)

Edited
by Gerry Mellor