Have You set yourself a Drawing Challenge? I have . . .

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
I've been urban sketching for about a year now, and I do think that sketching (along with medication!) has helped me to recover from a bout of clinical depression. I live in Port Talbot in South Wales, and last week I was idly flicking through my full sketchbooks, and I counted that I've made more than 50 sketches of places in Port Talbot. I came up with the idea of challenging myself to make 100 sketches of the town, trying to answer the question - what is Port Talbot to me? - in sketches. There's no timescale at the moment, although I'm currently producing a sketch a day, and more at the weekends. However, if a day comes when I don't feel like sketching, or I haven't the time, then I won't feel obliged to do it. I'm up to 60 sketches at the moment. I've created a blog to document my progress, and I'd love it if anyone wanted to have a look at it. The address is: - 100 Faces of Port Talbot Has anyone else set themselves a similar challenge, or even a not so similar challenge? If so, how did you get on?
David, That looks like a exciting project. It would lend itself to be published especially with those explanations you have added to each sketch.
Great sketches and an interesting project and I agree with Pat that it would make a published volume.
Hi David, I too think you should publish this. I recognise you from your wonderful sketches of Port Talbot in the gallery. Not living too far from there I recollect most of the places you talk about, from the steel works to Aberavon to the hospital (where I've visited numerous times!!) and many others. The sketch of the Round Chapel in Groes I remember well. I knew someone who lived in the village there which was demolished to make way for the motorway, there was certainly a big outcry when that happened and I was so glad the chapel was moved. It's quite funny now when travelling along the motorway now it's quite difficult to recall where exactly the village was! So go on, take the plunge and publish!
Thanks everyone for your comments. I'm adding sketches to the blog fairly regularly, and I'd love you to come over and take a look at the new ones when you can.
Some smashing sketching and great project, I am an Urban sketcher in Southampton group and sketch many days when travelling