FotoSketcher

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
There was a letter to the editor in the last edition of Leisure Painter referring to FotoSketcher software as an aid to achieving looseness in drawing/painting. I have had a look at the software but am not sure if it is a gimmick or of real value. There is a danger [I think] of focusing on the software at the expense of mastering the looseness problem. Has anybody else any thoughts. Sketcher
Dunno. The Fotosketcher for Windows download links describe it as "FotoSketcher is 100% free and automatically turns digital photos into beautiful drawings or paintings in seconds. With the click of a button any photo can become a masterpiece. Many styles are available: pencil sketch, oil painting, watercolor, pastel, drawing, cartoon, pen and ink, sepia (vintage photo)… " So, it looks like a bit of a cheat - give it your photo and it will give you back something that's supposed to look like you've drawn it yourself and presumably people may suggest that they have done so. I'm not sure what you'd learn from it.

Edited
by alang23

Having just found the original piece in Leisure Painter I can confirm to you Sylvia that it is on the letters page and NOT there as a recommendation by LP (thank goodness for that then!). As AlanG has already said, the programme will do exactly what you want it to regarding changing the appearance of your photo and I quote from the author of the letter 'I find it much easier to paint from an image that has already been simplified, showing softer edges and subdued colours. It's also easier to distinguish large areas of foliage and, if necessary, to modify the light and dark tones within them'... - but I have to ask myself why would you find that necessary, use your artistic inspiration and if you must sit in the studio and copy photographs follow Sylvia's MO, good sound advice that will and does work. On a final note, I do find it rather depressing that we may be in danger of relying too much on new technology, yes it can be useful at times I agree but this is not the way forward, so 'Sketcher', think about giving this one a miss and if you can start dropping the photographs and getting out into the open air and painting, you may well find that beneficial in helping you to 'loosen up', it works for me - good luck.