A sorrowful word of advice to all

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
If you ARE going to work from a photograph, thinking - oh so foolishly - that your memory will fill in the bits that the photograph shows but poorly, I do commend you to think again.   You see, I thought that.  How difficult, I asked myself blithely, can it be?   Well I've found out.   Of course, I have excuses: I always have excuses, given time to make them up.  I can no longer climb the path on the Downs giving access to the structure I wished to draw.  (I'll take sympathy, but would rather have a flask of brandy.)  But I used another's photo; a man whose photographic skills are slight; crucial details of quite a complex structure, with buttresses all over the place and apparently strewn hither and yon, were not obvious.   Anyway, profit by my error: if the original from which you're working is, to coin a phrase, deeply duff, the same is very likely to be true of your effort.  I may post it ... not on the Gallery, obviously, but as a warning to the unwary, the groundlessly optimistic, the naive.   If only I'd got an able-bodied friend to assist me up there, I'd have drawn it on the spot and taken my own photo.  But I didn't.   Happily, I made another drawing which worked hugely more satisfactorily - well, perhaps two, I need to put it away for a day and take another peek later.  But it's your failures, isn't it?   You have a success, two successes, even three - one entire lash-up, though, and it's that you remember and on which you obsess.  Or is it only me?
No I remember the ones that went wrong in more detail than the ones that worked , your not alone Robert nor are we the only two . I’m sure there are many other who will be able to relate to what yiu have said even if they choose to remain silent about it.